Tree Branches
Greetings,
New to turning, have managed to make a couple of mallets without killing myself.  Is there a reason I should or should not use branches (3"+ diam)?  They are close to round already so seems like a good idea, but want to check with those who know what they are doing.
Thanks for your time and input.
I don't see a problem with it.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-14-2018, 11:44 AM)branchacctg Wrote: Greetings,
New to turning, have managed to make a couple of mallets without killing myself.  Is there a reason I should or should not use branches (3"+ diam)?  They are close to round already so seems like a good idea, but want to check with those who know what they are doing.
Thanks for your time and input.

You'll probably notice the heart is off center, especially in open-grown trees.

[Image: Quercusaccutverysmall.jpg]

Means you have to contend with compression wood, definitely denser and more useful on a side-grain impact than tension wood opposite.  Try to use one or the other, not both, and you'll end up with a better product. 

Trees from the woods are a better branch choice, as they run more vertically to the light, and have the heart close to the center.  My preference.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
We come to associate limbs with reaction wood in hard woods and compression wood in conifers but not all limb wood is either. Many times cannot see the pith in some species. Basicall reaction wood in hardwoods is at the top of bend or curve and compression wood at bottm of bend or curve in conifers. Reaction or compression wood also present in trees with bends or curves in other parts of a tree.

Wood grain is different in both reaction and compression wood. The wood is not as strong as normal grain wood and drying bit different. Still good enough to turn beautiful projects.

So don’t worry about turning wood from limbs!
Bill
I have turned several, some for practice, others for actual projects.    I didn't/don't pay particular attention to compression, etc in the wood.  I turn them between centers and do my best to set the centers at the center of the pith/heartwood at each end.    I start with straight pieces and/or pieces with a large enough diameter that if they are curved I end up with the diameter I want after they are turned round.
Whatever works for you. I"ve used just about everything over the years.
Green tree limbs are great for practice and learning to turn. Already more or less round, and cut like butter.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Thanks for all of the information and help.