Maloof Rocking Chair
Once I finish my current project, I would like to start making a Maloof rocking chair. All my prior projects have been rectilinear pieces. I am looking forward to this project as I am sure I will learn a lot. Few years ago I remember seeing references to plans / full scale drawings. What is the best option these days for plans, drawings videos, etc?
(01-15-2018, 10:04 PM)wrb Wrote: Once I finish my current project, I would like to start making a Maloof rocking chair.  All my prior projects have been rectilinear pieces.  I am looking forward to this project as I am sure I will learn a lot. Few years ago I remember seeing references to plans / full scale drawings. What is the best option these days for plans, drawings videos, etc?

Check out Hal Taylor chairs.
(01-15-2018, 10:04 PM)wrb Wrote: Once I finish my current project, I would like to start making a Maloof rocking chair.  All my prior projects have been rectilinear pieces.  I am looking forward to this project as I am sure I will learn a lot. Few years ago I remember seeing references to plans / full scale drawings. What is the best option these days for plans, drawings videos, etc?

Fine Woodworker - Scott Morrison

As good as it gets. Plans and videos available on this site also. In full disclosure, Scott is a friend but I have no connection to his business whatsoever. His chairs are based on the Maloof design. He knew Sam and had his blessing.

Doug
(01-16-2018, 07:34 AM)davidmichealco Wrote: Check out Hal Taylor chairs.

This. +1000

I made 5 of them. Most beautiful chairs out there.
Gunners Mate, 1st Class, A long time ago...
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check these out.
(01-16-2018, 05:47 PM)Superglide Wrote: This. +1000

I made 5 of them. Most beautiful chairs out there.

I suppose beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Doug 

Staff Sgt. U.S. Army - many, many years ago.
(01-22-2018, 12:24 AM)Tapper Wrote: I suppose beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Doug 

Staff Sgt. U.S. Army - many, many years ago.

Both the Maloof and Taylor chairs are beautiful examples of woodworking.  I've sat in a Maloof 'copy' and a couple Hal Taylor copies by different builders and to me the Taylor chair is much more comfortable, which I attributed to the more flexible back splats.

I think The Wood Whisperer did a comprehensive video series/plans for one as well.
(01-22-2018, 06:12 AM)KC Wrote: Both the Maloof and Taylor chairs are beautiful examples of woodworking.  I've sat in a Maloof 'copy' and a couple Hal Taylor copies by different builders and to me the Taylor chair is much more comfortable, which I attributed to the more flexible back splats.

Point taken. Never sat in a Taylor rocker; only sat in one built by Scott Morrison in his shop. Pretty comfortable but I'm no rocking chair connoisseur. Just know that his chairs are stunningly beautiful. His website really doesn't do them justice, IMO.

Good luck to the OP with the build. Something I have yet to do and doubt if it will make the bucket list.

Doug