Slick
I have a slick that I removed the rust from and then after sharpening found out it has no temper in it. I would like to get it back to a point that it would have somewhat of a decent edge.How would i go about doing this? I do have a Oxy/Act cutting torch for heating. Thanks Stan
Smile
(01-16-2018, 10:55 AM)bgosh Wrote: I have a slick that I removed the rust from and then after sharpening found out it has no temper in it. I would like to get it back to a point that it would have somewhat of a decent edge.How would i go about doing this? I do have a Oxy/Act cutting torch for heating. Thanks Stan
Smile

One of our resident iron mongers will be along to help, Stan.

As I understand it you heat it to orange, quench in oil then bake in the oven at 450 for awhile.

Like I said; someone knowledgeable will happen along and help you out, I'm sure what I'm stating is wrong.
Big Grin

I use the torch too. I use a method much like this guy in this video.
Daddo, cool video.
Cool
Sometimes, those old Slicks would lose the steel cutting edge that were forge welded on the ends...leaving just soft iron..

Rehabbed  one slick back in the summer..

This is what came home with me...fifty cents, I think

Took a day, but it seems to work nicely enough now..
New Reply
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I have heat treated plenty of O-1 -  and while it can be done with a MAAP torch or two, things go much quicker if you build a little enclosure out of fire brick - you can get buy with 4 fire bricks , one on bottom, two above spaced a little apart, and one on top, with the front and back open for the flame,  though extra bricks would make it a little better.  Given that most slicks are pretty big, having the enclosure really helps,  also make sure you have a fireproof container for the quenching oil.
(01-16-2018, 07:20 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: I have heat treated plenty of O-1 -  and while it can be done with a MAAP torch or two, things go much quicker if you build a little enclosure out of fire brick - you can get buy with 4 fire bricks , one on bottom, two above spaced a little apart, and one on top, with the front and back open for the flame,  though extra bricks would make it a little better.  Given that most slicks are pretty big, having the enclosure really helps,  also make sure you have a fireproof container for the quenching oil.
Thanks guys and especially to daddo for the video,I will give it a try.I did this once but thinking about it, that was over 60 years ago Stan
(01-17-2018, 10:42 AM)bgosh Wrote: Thanks guys and especially to daddo for the video,I will give it a try.I did this once but thinking about it, that was over 60 years ago Stan
If you don't have fire bricks, you can use a clay flower pot for small items...it reflects back a lot of the heat that would be wasted..You can kick it up a notch by throwing a couple of charcoal briquets in the pot also, to reflect even more heat.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset