My review of Bosch's cheapest current ROS
Alright, so at the heed of many on here, I bought a Bosch ROS to replace my Porter Cable one, but I also went with their cheapest model (whereas people were saying I should go with the next one up). Although my issue has been resolved with it, there were some definite quality control issues with the sanding pad. I wrote a review for it on Amazon, and I thought some might like to hear my thoughts on it after getting the issue resolved.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revie...B0018Z8D64
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
(01-16-2018, 06:39 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Alright, so at the heed of many on here, I bought a Bosch ROS to replace my Porter Cable one, but I also went with their cheapest model (whereas people were saying I should go with the next one up). Although my issue has been resolved with it, there were some definite quality control issues with the sanding pad. I wrote a review for it on Amazon, and I thought some might like to hear my thoughts on it after getting the issue resolved.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revie...B0018Z8D64

Good review.  I gave you a thumbs up on it.  Given all the problems you had with it, I think you were being generous giving it 4 stars. I like Bosch tools, I have a bunch of em. But they also make tools under the Skil brand, and honestly that sander should have been red, not blue.
(01-16-2018, 07:14 PM)EvilTwin Wrote: Good review.  I gave you a thumbs up on it.  Given all the problems you had with it, I think you were being generous giving it 4 stars. I like Bosch tools, I have a bunch of em. But they also make tools under the Skil brand, and honestly that sander should have been red, not blue.

I appreciate it! If my experience with customer service hadn't been so great, I probably would have given it 3 at most. If the sanders all came with perfect backer pads right out of the box (or at least the vast majority of them), it would've gotten a 5. 

I never knew Bosch made Skil's stuff. I had a Skil drill for years that wasn't that great. Finally the batteries lost their ability to hold a charge, so I've borrowed my Mom's plug in Hitachi which works pretty well. However, if I ever get a circular saw, it'll probably be a Skil. The reviews for them are great, even for the more affordable ones. I feel like circular saws are Skil's niche.
Near future projects:

Nice review
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-16-2018, 07:37 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Nice review

Thank you!
Near future projects:

A 5" sander is next on my list of wants so this is very timely. I'll look at some available locally and see what they look like.

Thanks.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(01-17-2018, 03:52 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote: A 5" sander is next on my list of wants so this is very timely.  I'll look at some available locally and see what they look like.

Thanks.

Glad my review was of some help! If I were you, I'd also check out the replacement sanding pads by Bosch that fit that sander. That way, if you have trouble finding a sander that comes with a flat pad, you can test those aftermarket pads out with a straightedge in person before you buy it. As long as it's flat or darn close, it'll get flattened out when you screw the pad onto the sander. Also heed my advice about not putting any unneeded downward pressure on the sander when using it. I've found the sander is much more erratic when pushing down on it.
Near future projects:

Good review!  Hope Bosch corrects that problem and I hope it lasts as long as the Porter Cable. I too used the PC up until a few months ago (Ten years?). Got tired of replacing belts. One of the requirements of buying one to replace the PC were NO BELTS.

I was more impressed with the Makita for my personal use. The cloth collection bag tilts upward to stay out of the way better, the smaller upper/middle end allows getting into tight spots and corners easier and the pad extends outward more with a slightly softer end to flex and shape wood in corners- I like to use it to shape squarish corners round and get into inside curves.   (The Porter Cable I had was similar).  The switch works perfect and easily but is difficult to get to with the soft plastic dust cover- I removed it.  The pad is perfectly flat- no belt and it is pretty quiet and does not turn my hand into a numb member.
For a flat surface, the others with the stiff pads may do better..?

The ROS is my favorite shaping tool.

[Image: Fu4iNEu.jpg]
(01-17-2018, 10:16 PM)daddo Wrote: Good review!  Hope Bosch corrects that problem and I hope it lasts as long as the Porter Cable. I too used the PC up until a few months ago (Ten years?). Got tired of replacing belts. One of the requirements of buying one to replace the PC were NO BELTS.

My Porter Cable was actually a free item that came as a special with my 1.75HP Porter Cable router, which I've had for over 10 years. I haven't really put it through its paces, so that router still basically works like new. I hope this sander lasts even longer than the Porter Cable.

I actually sent a final e-mail (for now) to Bosch about this sander and included a link to my review. The rep said they would forward the info to their product manager. Hopefully they can tighten up the quality control on the pads.
Near future projects:

Your review was very well written, informative, & will be helpful to many!!

I still have an old,, read as a gift from maybe 1995,, B&D 5" RO sander. It's the funky green color. Anywho,, that sander is on it's 2nd H&L pad & still works!! It's not my go to for final sanding anymore but if I put some 80gr on the old gal she'll take some wood off!! I used it til the pad would no longer hold the disc on. That was when I bought my 1st Craftsman 5" RO. It was the cheapest one they had. Maybe $50 at the time. It worked for about 8yrs & burnt up. Just out of curiosity I checked the pads on the 2 sanders & the Craftsman fit the B&D. So I swapped them out & pitched the Craftsman then went & bought another Craftsman. Used it til it started acting "funny". All wobbly & hard to control. Took the pad off & removed the spindle bolt that was loose. Put some LocTite on it & reassembled. Brand new sander again. Gave it to my Son when I got a 5" PC as a gift. I love that sander!!

Rewind to this past October.

I have some neck issues & my hands aren't quite what they used to be. I ran across a new sander from Rockwell. It uses 2 piece pads. The outer ring spins 1 way & the center disc spins the other. Its called the VibraFree sander. This sander is nearly vibration free compared to my PC/Craftsman/B&D sanders. It also hogs the wood off quick. I use it for rough sanding then use the PC to finish sand.

Sorry for the blabbering if you're still awake & reading this post. LOL