Gloat Worthy?
Photo 
Hey Folks,
Not sure if a drill press can qualify for a gloat, but my neighbor recently "GAVE" me a Powermatic 1150, variable speed drill press! The only pics are of it in all it's "as received" gory glory! 

Since getting it, I've replaced the handles and chuck and fully disassembled, cleaned and checked all bearings, etc. Runs great, though I wish it had the 900 RPM motor, as with the 1725 RPM, slowest speed is 475 RPM! I'll get some current pics when I can! I'm in for +/- $125!

Just Gloatin'
Gene
Gene

"Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
Sweet!! Variable speed, no having to change belts for speed.....Great brand, Powermatic.

Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-18-2018, 04:37 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Sweet!! Variable speed, no having to change belts for speed.....Great brand, Powermatic.

Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool

Been wanting a VS drill press for a while - hate changing belts too - however, most of the brands/models that I've seen over the years are for inexpensive machines often from questionable companies (such as the one shown below from Amazon) - overall review looks fine but reading the 1* comments often provides the best description (problems, etc.)  - Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
Gene,
Let me be the first - 

YOU SUCK!

I have a Clausing that replaced an old Dayton drill press.  Unfortunately, I had to pay for mine. 
Big Grin
Laugh
Laugh

Lonnie
I've got a thing for old stuff...mostly books, but machinery is an interest, too. Great find!
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
That's a "Machine". A term not used with todays tools.

Gloat worthy.
(01-18-2018, 05:24 PM)giradman Wrote: Been wanting a VS drill press for a while - hate changing belts too - however, most of the brands/models that I've seen over the years are for inexpensive machines often from questionable companies (such as the one shown below from Amazon) - overall review looks fine but reading the 1* comments often provides the best description (problems, etc.)  - Dave
Smile

Be Forewarned,

Variable speed is known to be kinda noisy in operation and the PM is no exception. The two pulleys that open & close to "vary" the speed are quite large and the metal that is'nt damped by the belt tends to "ring" and resonate. I've not yet sprung for a new belt, which may help a bit, but according to many on the OWWM forums, it's simply the nature of the beast. FWIW though, it's not nearly as loud as my screamin' & swearin' when I've pinched a finger or such changing the belts/speeds on my previous cheap press from Chinesiawanoreanampan! Another added feature of this unit is the nearly 7 inch stroke! Also, the table doesn't swivel, so it's always dead nuts square to the chuck, though the table face does have the unfortunate "arc/smile of shame" from previous a--hole operators! There is no crank system for raising/lowering the table either, but I have plans for correcting that!

Thanks Folks,
Gene
Gene

"Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
While 1800 rpm single-phase motors are everywhere, 1200 rpm motors are very uncommon, and 900 rpm is outright rare.  I don't know of any manufacturer that current offers 900 rpm single-phase motors as a catalog item. 

But if you really want the low speed, I'd suggest looking around for a used three-phase motor, especially 1200 rpm (much more common in three-phase), and run it with a VFD.  900 rpm is available new in three-phase, but I rather doubt you'd want to spend that kind of money.  Like $1200 list, which could be as low as $400 with an OEM multiplier.  For 1 hp.  
Sad

Assuming 1800 or 1200 rpm, use a motor that's got more hp than you need, because as you drop the frequency below 60Hz, they typically operate in constant-torque mode.  Running at half-speed will give you half-power (same torque), so it's better to start with a slower motor (more torque at lower speed giving you the same shaft hp), with some reserve hp so you don't lose torque at the quill.

If you're really patient, you may run across a 900 rpm three-phase motor that will fit.  And if you're really really lucky, the seller won't know what he's got and price it like any other use three-phase motor, which most folks don't want anyway, so they tend to be cheaper.

That long quill travel is the bee's knees.  A solid head, rigid table, and long quill travel, plus large distance to the column, are what make a nice DP.  Looks like you've got it all.  
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
That is a seriously gloat worthy. You can try and change out the motor for a 3 phase, but you may not really get that much benefit from the lower speeds. I have a Clausing VS that has a 1200 RPM motor, and I rarely use it at the slowest speed. YMMV, but congrats anyway.
FWIW, my first drill press did not have a motor, so I picked up an old washing machine motor-many of the older washers had 2 speed motors, high speed was around 1750, low speed was around 1150.
To change speed, one wire had to be moved to one of 2 other wires.
I used a 3 way light switch, to choose between the wires to choose speed. 2 speeds, meant I didn't change belt position very often.
I did have to make my own mounting for the motor, but it worked out nicely.