alternatives to very expensive long drawer slides?
Thinking of putting long drawers (36-48") to extend out of the base of a built-in seating nook sorta like the attached picture. 
It seems the only full extension drawer slides in that length are close to $200 per set!! These drawers wouldn't have to hold anywhere near hundreds of pounds. 
Anybody have any good ideas for an alternative that would let a long drawer like that open all the way?

thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

(01-19-2018, 08:50 AM)mound Wrote: Thinking of putting long drawers (36-48") to extend out of the base of a built-in seating nook sorta like the attached picture. 
It seems the only full extension drawer slides in that length are close to $200 per set!! These drawers wouldn't have to hold anywhere near hundreds of pounds. 
Anybody have any good ideas for an alternative that would let a long drawer like that open all the way?

thanks!

I would consider a combination of waxed wooden runners combined with an integral toe kick which hides a couple wheels that roll on the floor.   Best solution for economy combined with strength and simplicity.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(01-19-2018, 09:32 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: I would consider a combination of waxed wooden runners combined with an integral toe kick which hides a couple wheels that roll on the floor.   Best solution for economy combined with strength and simplicity.

Brilliant! I had briefly mulled the idea of some sort of wheel on the thing but couldn't for the life of me figure out how it would "pull up" to close the drawer.. The integral toe-kick is exactly the solution I couldn't visualize!
(01-19-2018, 09:39 AM)mound Wrote: Brilliant! I had briefly mulled the idea of some sort of wheel on the thing but couldn't for the life of me figure out how it would "pull up" to close the drawer.. The integral toe-kick is exactly the solution I couldn't visualize!

I would bevel the kick pieces a bit so that the movable portion self centers into the fixed portion when you snug the drawer closed.  This should allow the joints to be tight and at mostly "hidden" You will want as large a wheel as will fit so that the rug in your photo won't present too much of an issue. 3" to 3-1/2" diameter should be no problem.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Cautionary note:  The below works perfectly in my mind, but I have not tried it or seen it used.

Roller blade wheels with bearings.  Just $22.00 for 8 on Amazon.com.  The carry the weight of a blader, which is probably more than you will load into the drawer.

Or use casters.  But the roller blade wheels are urethane and quiet (and cheap).  I think 1/4" shaft (but not sure).

https://www.amazon.com/RUNACC-Practical-...d+bearings

Mount two at the rear of the drawer horizontally to keep it centered.  Mount two on the bottom in the rear of the drawer vertically to carry the weight.  

Mount two at the front of the drawer, and make the plinth retract with the drawer.  

Add two horizontally inside the cabinet near the opening to keep the front in line.

[Image: 61WTEFL8ZPL._SL1001_.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
another interesting idea!

note: the photo is not my space just an example of a long drawer coming out of a base cabinet that has a recessed toe-kick
Bearings and 1-inch square steel tubing attached to both sides of the drawer to ride between the bearings.

[Image: IMG_1190.JPG]
Or just copy the under-bed storage systems:

[Image: 2dc43a347602ece97e40fe16f7295558--under-...torage.jpg]

https://www.google.com/search?q=underbed...62#imgrc=_
All good ideas! I'm thinking a combination of the bearings w/1" square metal tubing and the integral toe-kick with some wheels hiding behind it would give me the smooth opening and "full extension" properties all for much less $$
(01-19-2018, 01:35 PM)mound Wrote: All good ideas! I'm thinking a combination of the bearings w/1" square metal tubing and the integral toe-kick with some wheels hiding behind it would give me the smooth opening and "full extension" properties all for much less $$

My "Scandinavian" furniture bed came with the under bed storage very similar to what I showed above.  I only stored things that I rarely used under the bed.  If I had to access it frequently I would have been cursing a great deal.  With no runners to guide it, it wandered side to side and never pulled out smoothly.

I would suggest you nail or screw a strip of wood inside the wheels to guide the thing into position.  So it would be four wheels and two pieces of 3/4" x 3/4" x length of the drawer pieces, probably angled in slightly to make it go back in easier.