Dust collection design help
Based on recommendations from another thread about dust in the air in which many people suggested dust removal at the tool, I am ready to setup my dust collector.  I bought a Grizzly dust collector setup about a decade ago but never installed it.  It came with tons of solid pipes, flex hose and blast gates, and even a cheap garbage can separator.

What I am wondering is would my dust collector do well with 4" piping or could I benefit from upgrading to 6" pipe with a vortex separator?  

The layout of the garage will have a 6 foot run to the miter station with a long sweep Wye will get over the Table saw 7 feet away.  The tablesaw branch will continue across the garage to access the other tools, which will share one hose.

My dust collector is a 15 year old, hardly used 2HP Grizzly.  Would this benefit from a 6" hose and vortex separator or should I just install my 4" pipe.

Attached Files Image(s)

A carpenter's house is never done.
I plan on replacing the bags which are probably 30 micron with a smaller micron canister filter, irrelevant of what size pipe I go with.
Is that impeller cover sized for 6" after you removed the dual 4" adapter?

If so, I would start my main duct with 6"
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-19-2018, 05:48 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Is that impeller cover sized for 6" after you removed the dual 4" adapter?

If so, I would start my main duct with 6"

Yes it is a 6" input with the adapter removed.
I would run 6" all the way to the tablesaw, necking down at the wye to the miter station to 4", and again just prior to hooking up to the saw...
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
It's settled I am going with 6" pipe.  I will be ordering Dust Deputy XL in the next day or so.  The question now is where to get my other supplies.  My nearest city is 2 hours away.  I have a call out to a Nordfab distributor 4 hours away to get an estimate on how much that may run me.  

Because of the logistics I will probably end up using Sewer pipe, unless there are better suggestions?

In terms of design, any suggestions on how to design the layout on sketchup?  I have worked with sketchup but no idea on how to run pipes in 3 dimensions.  I have a pretty good idea on where i want things but would like to sketch it out to make sure I have the proper blast gates and connectors on hand before I start.

Where should I look to order the misc. parts, blast gates, wyes, adapters?
One possibility is Kencraft company (if you're using metal fittings), they get reglar praise from past customers. If you stay with PVC and can't get the needed fittings locally, consider using McMaster Carr. They not only have everything, but are about as reasonable on shipping (at least in my experience) as they can be. Find 6" thinwall (sewer pipe) can be a challenge at times, try farm supplies and such places.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-22-2018, 01:24 PM)fredhargis Wrote: One possibility is Kencraft company (if you're using metal fittings), they get reglar praise from past customers. If you stay with PVC and can't get the needed fittings locally, consider using McMaster Carr. They not only have everything, but are about as reasonable on shipping (at least in my experience) as they can be. Find 6" thinwall (sewer pipe) can be a challenge at times, try farm supplies and such places.

I was filling up my shopping cart at Kencraft with some thinner planed wood and started adding some fittings to it also.  I looked at shipping at it was over $100.

I will likely use them but realizing the shipping on this whole build is likely going to add up significantly, I will likely put together all the pipe and pieces together first to make sure i get it right and then order the fittings to make sure i get everything in one order.

Thanks for the suggestion on farm supply places.  I have one in walking distance from my house, I will visit them today.  I have a contract with a local plumbing supply place that can get me DW pipe at $3/ft but it takes a week to get here.   The wyes are $32/piece.
(01-22-2018, 01:24 PM)fredhargis Wrote: One possibility is Kencraft company (if you're using metal fittings), they get reglar praise from past customers. If you stay with PVC and can't get the needed fittings locally, consider using McMaster Carr. They not only have everything, but are about as reasonable on shipping (at least in my experience) as they can be. Find 6" thinwall (sewer pipe) can be a challenge at times, try farm supplies and such places.

Thanks for the link to kencraft. Best price I've found on 45 degree wye's.
I use metal HVAC ducting for mine. It's less than half the price of PVC. I simply use a keyed hose clamp to tighten the pieces together, ensuring proper snap fit.

Something to consider. I don't see it as being any less viable than PVC, especially considering the availability of metal ducting locally at big box stores.