Daily Bench Shot
[Image: IMG-3186.jpg]

That literally is my bench shot - as that 8/4 hard maple will be my new bench.  

After stickering and acclimation to the shop, I will get started on milling up the new bench.  

I am shooting for a 4" thick bench top with a Lie-Nielsen tail vise, and I'm leaning towards a twin screw face vise but the jury is still out on that one.

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(03-19-2019, 03:20 PM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: That literally is my bench shot - as that 8/4 hard maple will be my new bench.  

After stickering and acclimation to the shop, I will get started on milling up the new bench.  

I am shooting for a 4" thick bench top with a Lie-Nielsen tail vise, and I'm leaning towards a twin screw face vise but the jury is still out on that one.

John

I'm looking forward to a build thread!

Very 
Cool
Peter

My "day job"
(03-20-2019, 11:03 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: I'm looking forward to a build thread!

Very 
Cool

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-20-2019, 11:03 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: I'm looking forward to a build thread!

Very 
Cool

+2
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
(03-21-2019, 08:21 AM)Redman Wrote: +2

Thanks Guys!  I will keep you posted
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Another vote for a build thread. I need to build a second small bench for the new shop, do I’ve watching.

Peter- nice looking planes. An infill is my dream smoother. Maybe some day.

In the process of fine tuning the equipment after the move. Small projects have tight tolerances, so are a good way to check setups. Finished a box project for the wife out of maple and cherry.

Attached Files Image(s)

John
Another small project that helped me fine tune the shooting board was a mitered album frame made out of mdf and scrap exotics. The design provides a slot to slide in a different album, while hanging on the wall. My son is into old records and their artwork.

After a few small projects, next is a media console.

Attached Files Image(s)

John
(03-22-2019, 08:37 AM)jstraw Wrote: Peter- nice looking planes.  An infill is my dream smoother.  Maybe some day.

Thanks, John

I find that more and more I'm growing to dislike bevel up planes because of how sharpening them seems to be harder and more material needs to be removed.

Then I thought I could build a plane (infill) for cheaper than I could buy one... I was wrong
Peter

My "day job"
(03-22-2019, 09:23 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Thanks, John

I find that more and more I'm growing to dislike bevel up planes because of how sharpening them seems to be harder and more material needs to be removed.

Then I thought I could build a plane (infill) for cheaper than I could buy one... I was wrong

I don't understand why sharpening bevel up planes shoud be any harder than for bevel downI have used both for more than 20 yrears and haven't noticed any difference,  Perhaps we are doing things differently but it's hard to think what it might be. why should it be necessary to remove more material?  Any thoughts anyone?

Jim
(03-22-2019, 08:37 AM)jstraw Wrote: Finished a box project for the wife out of maple and cherry.

Sweet box.
Cool
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020