Daily Bench Shot
(02-05-2019, 10:49 AM)Dan Moening Wrote: Copier paper? The plain white 500-sheets-per-ream copier paper?

Interesting. How does this adhere to the granite plate by itself?

Do you have a picture of this also ... love to see this part of your process.
And thanks for the link ... might try the diamond paste for that price.

Yep.  The cheapest stuff I can buy.  The granite plate is smooth and the oil in the paste seeps through a bit and things stick.  Eventually.  The first couple of grits you may need to use a bit of blue tape.

I don't have a picture of in-process. Might do a few more blades this weekend so if I remember, I'll take some.

Only need the smallest dab of the paste.  Then I spread it around with the blade itself.  Maybe out to an area 1" deep by a few inches wide.  Most of the blade hangs off the edge and away you go. Once the paste turns black from all the accumulated steel, I flip over and check the scratch pattern. Usually by that time it is uniform and I'm ready for the next grit. After about the 7um grit, it goes from matte to mirror.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin

Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Quote: The granite plate is smooth and the oil in the paste seeps through a bit and things stick.  Eventually.  The first couple of grits you may need to use a bit of blue tape.

Thanks, Rob.
I see it now, no need for pictures ... appreciate the feedback.
~Dan.
(02-05-2019, 01:31 PM)Rob Young Wrote:   The granite plate is smooth and the oil in the paste seeps through a bit and things stick.  

I get a similar effect with wet/dry paper, WD-40 and the piece of tempered glass I use. Smooth surface and get the air out.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
First coat of Minwax Antique Oil Finish applied....

[Image: g9h-KJC-n-Qpmq-Hzuq-Whzhwg.jpg]

Man this old wood sucks up the finish 
Rolleyes

I'll let that dry for a few days and then do it again
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(02-07-2019, 09:31 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: First coat of Minwax Antique Oil Finish applied....

[Image: g9h-KJC-n-Qpmq-Hzuq-Whzhwg.jpg]

Man this old wood sucks up the finish 
Rolleyes  

I'll let that dry for a few days and then do it again

That looks great.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
(02-07-2019, 10:53 AM)Redman Wrote: That looks great.

Thank you Redman!
Yes. + a bazillion on the looking great.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-07-2019, 12:21 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Yes. + a bazillion on the looking great.

Thank you so much Steve!!
Speaking of finish......ever seen any plywood that the glue is showing through?
That's what I have here showing up after the first coat of finish on this upper frig box, after I sanded it.
Trying to decide whether to build another box, or veneer over this one, as this is the side that will be most visible. Hmmmm

Smirk
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020