Daily Bench Shot
(01-29-2022, 09:23 AM)jstraw Wrote: Finished a Kumiko wall hanging.  I try to learn something new for each project.  This is a test panel for some sliding doors on a entertainment console project.  Door panels with have speaker fabric backer instead of the walnut veneer on the test piece.  Also will change up the design some.

[Image: full]

John, that is really nice!  I have seen some of that work being done on video.  Couple questions please.  Is that maple?  Did you build a special jig/sled for making those cuts?  Very impressive!

Thanks
Chuck
(01-30-2022, 06:03 PM)cbygeorge Wrote: John, that is really nice!  I have seen some of that work being done on video.  Couple questions please.  Is that maple?  Did you build a special jig/sled for making those cuts?  Very impressive!

Thanks
Chuck

Thank you for your kind comments, appreciate it.

The wood used is basswood. It’s a good wood for this because the grain is not pronounced and the hardness is just right for a tight friction fit on the joints. The grid is glued at the half lap joints, but everything else is fit tight with no glue. Walnut also works well.

There are multiple jigs necessary. A small table saw sled with a fence that is similar to a box joint fence is made. Difference is that the pin for the box joint has multiple slots cut in equal increments that can be anywhere from 1/4” to 1/2”. That allows you to get the proper spacing for the half lap joints on the grid.

For the small squares, the pieces consist of half lap joints that form a hashtag pattern. Those are then mitered at a 45 on all 4 sides and requires another jig that screws to the base of the small table saw sled.

The large patterns are all mitered with a chisel on a special kumiko block that helps guide your chisel to the required 45, 60, and 30 degree miters. I enjoyed this hand tool process much more than the mitered hashtags on the table saw.

The frame is cherry scraps and the back panel is walnut veneer. Overall size is around 24”x15”.

If you want to explore this method, fine woodworking had a couple of articles and Matt Kenny wrote a nice book about it.
John
(01-31-2022, 11:01 AM)jstraw Wrote: Thank you for your kind comments, appreciate it.

The wood used is basswood.  It’s a good wood for this because the grain is not pronounced and the hardness is just right for a tight friction fit on the joints.  The grid is glued at the half lap joints, but everything else is fit tight with no glue.  Walnut also works well.

There are multiple jigs necessary.  A small table saw sled with a fence that is similar to a box joint fence is made. Difference is that the pin for the box joint has multiple slots cut in equal increments that can be anywhere from 1/4” to 1/2”.  That allows you to get the proper spacing for the half lap joints on the grid.

For the small squares, the pieces consist of half lap joints that form a hashtag pattern.  Those are then mitered at a 45 on all 4 sides and requires another jig that screws to the base of the small table saw sled.

The large patterns are all mitered with a chisel on a special kumiko block that helps guide your chisel to the required 45, 60, and 30 degree miters.  I enjoyed this hand tool process much more than the mitered hashtags on the table saw.

The frame is cherry scraps and the back panel is walnut veneer.  Overall size is around 24”x15”.

If you want to explore this method, fine woodworking had a couple of articles and Matt Kenny wrote a nice book about it.

Thanks John!  Yes, I believe it was the article by Mike Farrington in FWW I was thinking of.  He has some fine videos on this subject on youtube also.  I appreciate your detailed response.
An urn for my daughter's guinea pig.  I'll post a build thread when done.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Finally mounted my new grinder, and used it for the first time. CBN, very nice.

[Image: i-Sk9QTGv-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Bump..............
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Two figured curly maple boards. Each will become two rectangles. I spent 4 hours marking. And thinking. A little off here or there and it cuts off something that needs to be there.

[Image: i-7wmvg2N-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

(02-01-2022, 10:52 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: An urn for my daughter's guinea pig.  I'll post a build thread when done.

Cool
Pieces cut and shot to size. Rob Hanson shooting board and L-N low angle jack with a freshly honed edge. Not sure what the black sludge left by the side of the plane is.

[Image: i-PvpVBw5-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

Curly poplar...Hmmm
Daughter to do for Grandaughter first birthday party theme.
I guess cakes are old school. Cupcakes are yesterday.
Donuts are the thing.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.