Daily Bench Shot
I'm gluing up leg assemblies for a table and was TERRIFIED they wouldn't match up.  Floating tenons to hold it together. 

They worked!

This was a test clamp; I'll glue them together tomorrow.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

I was fixing a cabinet that a painter had stripped out the holes for the hinges and came up with an idea I haven't seen mentioned here and it might not be worthy of being here yet here it is.

The screws that hold the hinge are small and anything larger would look wrong, moving the hinges would look bad as it was in a wall cabinet full of doors. and then it hit me using a domino in the face frame of the cabinet would put some solid wood where it is needed.  I have done the toothpicks and wood glue approach yet this seemed fast and a better fix.  I know the same could done with a dowel for those without a domino.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Today I glued up five panels for charcuterie boards and glued up the top for a table and placed the leg assemblies on it to show what it's roughly going to look like (upside down).

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Walnut dining table top nearing completion.  BLO on both sides; wet sanded with 220 on the top surface.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Lookin good.............
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Slightly stressful glue-up. 16 little wedges to glue and tap in before the glue on the tenons set up.

[Image: i-HWFTJrm-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Did a little bit of work this weekend on a quick and dirty stand to hold two solar panels at 39* (my latitude) for testing. 3/4" plywood and a bit of iron pipe. Need to finish up a few more things such as a couple of v-blocks I can clamp below the assembly so it doesn't slide down the pole. Also there is a MPPT module as part of the test as well as some batteries and a power manifold.

The whole reason for this is because at work we are developing the power and monitoring portion of an experiment that will eventually fly on a balloon at 120,000ft. I need to start evaluating the various bits of equipment. The panels, the batteries (Dakota Lithium), the MPPT charge controller and eventually test it against the expected load conditions for the experiment.

Drew up everything in Fusion 360 and exported each part for cutting with my Shaper Origin. Did that one evening and then the next did the assembly. 

In the actual experiment the panels are mounted back-to-back and hang from the experiment housing. At 120,000ft they will be fully lit 100% of the time and one panel by itself is sufficient to keep the experiment charged (at least that's what I'm working to prove). The balloon slowly rotates at about 1 or 2 RPM so no problems with illumination. The bigger problem is overheating of the electronics since this is near vacuum. Everything has to be painted white and anything that generates heat has to be sinked to the chassis for radiative cooling. The ambient temp at altitude is around -30C but previous experiments have still had problems with overheating.

Other items to be built and tested include the experiment controller and solar position monitor so that the experiment knows which direction it is pointing relative to the location of the sun. We will have a nifty GPS (already flown and tested) so super-duper accurate time stamping. Just need to know which way things point at the balloon rotates and the sun + accurate time stamps makes a good reference.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(01-29-2022, 09:23 AM)jstraw Wrote: Finished a Kumiko wall hanging.  I try to learn something new for each project.  This is a test panel for some sliding doors on a entertainment console project.  Door panels with have speaker fabric backer instead of the walnut veneer on the test piece.  Also will change up the design some.

[Image: full]

Very nice!
I was asked to make a small stamp. So a bit of CAD, a bit of back-and-forth with the "client" and all done.

2" x 3" block with 1/8" of linoleum.

Only requires about 6 minutes of machine time to make.  Don't have any stamp pads at home but tomorrow my client will be testing it out.

The web site The Noun Project is a great source for line graphics. I have a pro subscription so that gets me unlimited use license for drawings I download. Usually they are pretty good but it is important to inspect them closely once they've been pulled into my CNC CAD (Vectric V-CarvePro) to confirm the vectors are suitable for cutting/carving.

And if you need fonts, Google Fonts has a large selection with a wide variety of license terms. I stick with unlimited/commercial use licenses there. 

(07-17-2022, 09:30 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Did a little bit of work this weekend on a quick and dirty stand to hold two solar panels at 39* (my latitude) for testing. 3/4" plywood and a bit of iron pipe. Need to finish up a few more things such as a couple of v-blocks I can clamp below the assembly so it doesn't slide down the pole. Also there is a MPPT module as part of the test as well as some batteries and a power manifold.

The whole reason for this is because at work we are developing the power and monitoring portion of an experiment that will eventually fly on a balloon at 120,000ft. I need to start evaluating the various bits of equipment. The panels, the batteries (Dakota Lithium), the MPPT charge controller and eventually test it against the expected load conditions for the experiment.

Drew up everything in Fusion 360 and exported each part for cutting with my Shaper Origin. Did that one evening and then the next did the assembly. 

In the actual experiment the panels are mounted back-to-back and hang from the experiment housing. At 120,000ft they will be fully lit 100% of the time and one panel by itself is sufficient to keep the experiment charged (at least that's what I'm working to prove). The balloon slowly rotates at about 1 or 2 RPM so no problems with illumination. The bigger problem is overheating of the electronics since this is near vacuum. Everything has to be painted white and anything that generates heat has to be sinked to the chassis for radiative cooling. The ambient temp at altitude is around -30C but previous experiments have still had problems with overheating.

Other items to be built and tested include the experiment controller and solar position monitor so that the experiment knows which direction it is pointing relative to the location of the sun. We will have a nifty GPS (already flown and tested) so super-duper accurate time stamping. Just need to know which way things point at the balloon rotates and the sun + accurate time stamps makes a good reference.

Sounds complicated
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020