Small surface crack in cutting board
My last cutting board was made with scraps from the shop and some extra maple. It's not a commission or anything so it isn't particularly important, but it's replacing a glass cutting board in the kitchen because I recently bought "good" knives and don't want to dull them quickly by cutting on glass. I can remember that, but I don't think my wife can.

One of the bloodwood pieces I used has a surface crack that runs about 1/2" deep (visible on the edge) and maybe 6" long. What do you do when this happens? I was going to use the other side as the cutting surface so I wasn't particularly concerned, but I did wonder what would happen if I didn't have extra wood and both sides were cracked. Even though the cracked side is going to have rubber feet on it (clearly the bottom) I was still going to put a bit of Titebond III on it and sand it until the crack "heals." That is what I saw online, but that doesn't really seem like a long-term solution for a cutting board where bacteria is a concern (I like meat, and I like it pretty rare).

What do you all do when you have cracks like this? Turn it over? Scrap it? Use it for something other than food? I feel like it's a pretty small defect, but at the same time it's early enough in the process that it wouldn't hurt to repurpose it as something else.
Fill the crack with epoxy
(01-19-2018, 10:39 PM)Chuck 80 Wrote: Fill the crack with epoxy

@ FS7 - how wide is the crack?  A pic might help others in their recommendations.  Could the board be ripped through the crack and then re-glued or is the crack too wide?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Yes, if the crack is straight enough, rip through the crack and re-glue it.

Or, force some glue into the crack, using an air blowgun, gently blowing glue into the crack as much as possible, then sprinkling same sawdust into the crack, and ROS sanding the crack, working glue and dust on down into it.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I ended up using glue and the sander. It mostly disappeared. It's on the underside and slightly on the edge, but wasn't a result of the drying process.

It wasn't straight so ripping and gluing wasn't an option. Epoxy would probably be better.