Input needed on a lathe stand
I have a DVR XP and I need to build a stand for it.

I really like many of the elements of this stand ;
https://ibuildit.ca/projects/lathe-stand/

I like that it is made-up of laminations for many of the elements. I like that there aren't a lot of complex joints. I like that it is made of inexpensive stock.

I don't like the feet. I don't plan on moving, or moving the lathe around the shop, so I would not opt for this style of adjustable foot .

I want a ballast box. No big deal. I can add that in where the crossmembers are on this one. I will fill it with sand or concrete.

My last issue is the rake of the legs. These are splayed out 5 degrees but not raked. I am wondering if I would be better off having the legs splayed and raked 5 degrees in each direction. Thoughts?

I appreciate your input.

Attached Files Image(s)

If you are not going to move your lathe, I would bolt it down before I used ballast. This is from experience. Mine was much more secure after I bolted it down.
Yes indeed ;once in place it will be easy to bolt into the concrete floor
I've never understood the small lathe stands, when you have options.
My lathe stand is built on the same principal as a work bench. The exception is, the top is 2" thick, made from a solid core door.
I have the weight for vibration, and I have lots of space behind the lathe for lathe tools and other stuff. Pegboard on the wall also. Nice big shelf area underneath, which is available if I wanted to add drawers.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-19-2018, 10:42 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I've never understood the small lathe stands, when you have options.
My lathe stand is built on the same principal as a work bench. The exception is, the top is 2" thick, made from a solid core door.
I have the weight for vibration, and I have lots of space behind the lathe for lathe tools and other stuff. Pegboard on the wall also. Nice big shelf area underneath, which is available if I wanted to add drawers.

While I trust that your comments were meant with good intent, I am at a lack of understanding as to how they pertain to the questions/comments that I posted regarding the bench plans that I linked to;
(01-20-2018, 12:02 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: While I trust that your comments were meant with good intent, I am at a lack of understanding as to how they pertain to the questions/comments that I posted regarding the bench plans that I linked to;

Make another like the one you have, and use the pair as sawhorses.  Then build a table with shelves/drawers underneath - cabinet - so the floor space isn't wasted.  The reason you don't see such commercially is they demand more materials.  There is a much better solution for stable support.

The lathe does not need spread to stabilize longitudinally, but your cabinet should provide enough room behind to turn the motor, should you decide to snug to a wall for shaving control, and some spread on each end up front at 90 degrees to the longitudinal axis to counter the rotational energy of your largest over-the-bed piece.  On my 3000, the spread is 10" from centerline, because the radius over the bed is 8".  I store tools rather than useless sand underneath, which secures it firmly to the floor, and use my bandsaw to take off unwanted and unbalancing wood before mounting between centers for roughing.  Unless you're turning some really strange shapes, you should never have to worry about wobble, especially with the low RPM available to you.  "Vibration" is controlled by firm mount of the lathe to what's underneath.

Couple things to remember in your design besides motor rotation, are to bring the centerline as far forward as possible, so you can get to center of a bowl without leaning with the shortest tool in your inventory, and elevating the bed on blocks so you can clean out underneath, or find dammit(!) dropped items easily.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(01-20-2018, 12:02 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: While I trust that your comments were meant with good intent, I am at a lack of understanding as to how they pertain to the questions/comments that I posted regarding the bench plans that I linked to;

Ummmm because I was trying to sway you into thinking of going another direction besides a stand.
Winkgrin

I think a bench mount for a lathe is more usable than a stand with 4 legs.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020