Shop temp and working with wood
(01-22-2018, 09:32 PM)glzahn Wrote: Thanks for all the feedback. 

I get the fact that you have to have your shop and materials at a certain temp for glue ups and finishing.  My question is....after you've had the heat off in your shop, how LONG do you think it takes for the materials in the shop to reach a workable core temp?  I have materials stacked on shelves that were frozen for weeks on end.  I don't imagine that I can turn on the heater, let the shop reach 60 degrees in an hour or so, then start cutting and gluing pieces together.  Do I need to let the shop heat up to 60+degrees for two days, three days or more before I start milling?  I've got to believe that wood movement would occur while the wood is getting warmer......yes?

Wood is more affected by moisture changes than heat changes. According to my calc the change in width for a board 10" wide and a 30 degree change in temperature will only vary by 0.005 in. (dL = alpha*L*dT where I used alpha = 16.7e-6 in/in R)

I'd be mostly concerned about the ability for the adhesive to set up. Aliphatic resin glues aren't meant to be used under 50 for the most part so I'd probably let the glue and wood come to equilibrium for 12 hours to be safe once the shop air temp is stable.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(01-22-2018, 09:32 PM)glzahn Wrote: Thanks for all the feedback. 

I get the fact that you have to have your shop and materials at a certain temp for glue ups and finishing.  My question is....after you've had the heat off in your shop, how LONG do you think it takes for the materials in the shop to reach a workable core temp?  I have materials stacked on shelves that were frozen for weeks on end.  I don't imagine that I can turn on the heater, let the shop reach 60 degrees in an hour or so, then start cutting and gluing pieces together.  Do I need to let the shop heat up to 60+degrees for two days, three days or more before I start milling?  I've got to believe that wood movement would occur while the wood is getting warmer......yes?

It depends on how your materials are stored and how much airflow/circulation you have in your shop.  To pick on the wood for an example, if it is tightly stacked like a larger block of wood, it will take significantly longer for the pieces in the inner layers to warm up.  If the boards are stickered and there is some airflow through the stack, they will warm up a lot faster.  If you keep an eye on your furnace, you will notice that it runs a lot less frequently as the interior items come up to temp. There are too many variables to give you a timeframe, you just need to learn how your shop behaves.

With a 100k BTU gas furnace in my 28x33 shop, it can go 40 to 72 degrees air temp in pretty short order - maybe around 30 min or so.  Materials may take up to a couple of hours to reach the same temp, depending on how cold soaked they were to begin with.
MKM - Master Kindling Maker