Inspired By Arlin Eastman
Photo 

Sorry for the quality of the picture; I was in a hurry to turn it and wrap it as a Christmas gift. This is a bud vase, inspired by a vase that Arlin posted a year or two ago. I say inspired, because I am not that good at copying. I really liked the feature at the top. I don’t know if you would call it the neck or throat or what. Of course, a couple of weeks after I turned this, I saw an episode of The American Woodshop where Scott Phillips said that to get evenly spaced burn marks, use a pair of dividers to lay them out. Kind of obvious after someone points it out.

I believe the wood is cocobolo. As I said, I was in a hurry, so I looked at my turning blanks, said “This looks nice,” and grabbed it. I drilled the hole big enough for the test tube and then put it on the lathe. I used a chuck holding a dowel of the right diameter so that the hole would be aligned perpendicular to the vase when it is standing. I kind of messed of the bottom, so I ended up gluing a piece of felt to it to cover the ugliness. 

Anyway, I wanted to thank Arlin for his original post and picture. I think I still like his better, but I wasn’t unhappy with the way mine came out.
Hank Gillette
(01-20-2018, 12:44 PM)hankgillette Wrote: Sorry for the quality of the picture; I was in a hurry to turn it and wrap it as a Christmas gift. This is a bud vase, inspired by a vase that Arlin posted a year or two ago. I say inspired, because I am not that good at copying. I really liked the feature at the top. I don’t know if you would call it the neck or throat or what. Of course, a couple of weeks after I turned this, I saw an episode of The American Woodshop where Scott Phillips said that to get evenly spaced burn marks, use a pair of dividers to lay them out. Kind of obvious after someone points it out.

I believe the wood is cocobolo. As I said, I was in a hurry, so I looked at my turning blanks, said “This looks nice,” and grabbed it. I drilled the hole big enough for the test tube and then put it on the lathe. I used a chuck holding a dowel of the right diameter so that the hole would be aligned perpendicular to the vase when it is standing. I kind of messed of the bottom, so I ended up gluing a piece of felt to it to cover the ugliness. 

Anyway, I wanted to thank Arlin for his original post and picture. I think I still like his better, but I wasn’t unhappy with the way mine came out.

I think it looks nice.
Yes
Yes

I never use dividers at all.  I just make the two outside and then fill the inside in by looking at the middle area which might be a 1/16 off.  If you really want it accurate then just put a 6" rule next to the wood and make the marks and then finish the marks when you spin the headstock and then I but the groves in it by the skew and then burning and sanding the burn after to take off the rough stuff.

So congrats on the turning.  I can not really see but how thick is the rim on it?

O and also last when I drill the hole I eject the bit out and clean off all the shavings about 1.5" from the bottom of the vase.  I then finish drilling the last 1.5" and leave the bit and chuck in the hole and remount it to the headstock and that way it makes itself a jam chuck.  I then bring up the tail stock to the center and tighten it down a little bit and finish off the bottom until there is just the little left and then I move the tail stock back and finish the bottom and sand it.  All it takes is small cuts with a freshly sharpened tool.
Yes

I also use MT2 drill bits so I no longer have to use a drill chuck.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-21-2018, 02:52 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I think it looks nice.
Yes
Yes

I never use dividers at all.  I just make the two outside and then fill the inside in by looking at the middle area which might be a 1/16 off.  If you really want it accurate then just put a 6" rule next to the wood and make the marks and then finish the marks when you spin the headstock and then I but the groves in it by the skew and then burning and sanding the burn after to take off the rough stuff.

So congrats on the turning.  I can not really see but how thick is the rim on it?

O and also last when I drill the hole I eject the bit out and clean off all the shavings about 1.5" from the bottom of the vase.  I then finish drilling the last 1.5" and leave the bit and chuck in the hole and remount it to the headstock and that way it makes itself a jam chuck.  I then bring up the tail stock to the center and tighten it down a little bit and finish off the bottom until there is just the little left and then I move the tail stock back and finish the bottom and sand it.  All it takes is small cuts with a freshly sharpened tool.
Yes

I also use MT2 drill bits so I no longer have to use a drill chuck.

What if you want to make four burn lines?
Big Grin

I thought the dividers were a good way to do it, because you only have to measure once (assuming you want the lines equal distances apart).

If I understand your question correctly, the rim, as best as can remember was about 1/2 inch. I was pretty much eyeballing everything. I do remember that my blank was smaller in diameter than yours, so I had to modify the design somewhat because of that.

There are various ways to do the hole, I guess. You could turn a tenon on one end of the blank, mount it with a chuck, and then drill the hole while on the lathe (I have a drill chuck with an MT2 taper). Of course then you would have to figure out how to get rid of the tenon.
Hank Gillette
(01-22-2018, 03:22 AM)hankgillette Wrote: What if you want to make four burn lines?
Big Grin

I thought the dividers were a good way to do it, because you only have to measure once (assuming you want the lines equal distances apart).

If I understand your question correctly, the rim, as best as can remember was about 1/2 inch. I was pretty much eyeballing everything. I do remember that my blank was smaller in diameter than yours, so I had to modify the design somewhat because of that.

There are various ways to do the hole, I guess. You could turn a tenon on one end of the blank, mount it with a chuck, and then drill the hole while on the lathe (I have a drill chuck with an MT2 taper). Of course then you would have to figure out how to get rid of the tenon.

I was just wondering how thick it was and I still think you did a fine job.  Also do what I did is google Greek and Roman and Indian vases and use some of those for shaping some in the future.  I download the pictures and then print them up and use the photo as a template.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
[quote pid='7580604' dateline='1516651484']

I was just wondering how thick it was and I still think you did a fine job.  Also do what I did is google Greek and Roman and Indian vases and use some of those for shaping some in the future.  I download the pictures and then print them up and use the photo as a template.
[/quote]

That is a good idea. The classics forms never go out of style.

I have also saved pictures of vinegar and perfume bottles for possible future projects.
Hank Gillette