What Lubricant For My Lathe
I tore down my lathe today.  It's an older Delta, built sometime in the 80s I think.  The speed adjustment is a handle that moves a reeves pulley up and down on a slide.     I've taken it apart and am in the process of cleaning all the moving parts to get it operating more smoothly.   Here's the reeves assembly.  the assembly travels up and down on a piece of round bar stock that goes through those two large holes.   When I re-assemble it, what's the best lubricant? I don't want to use oil or grease because it's a lathe and will attract dirt.  I'd also like something that can be a rust inhibitor, if possible.  

When I had my first lathe with Reeves drive.When I tore it down to clean it I usually sprayed it with white lithium grease.Would also give it a shot every so often.Seemed to work great.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
The ShopSmith manual says to use a sewing machine oil, just 1 or two drops on their Reeves pulley.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I use parafin wax on things like that. Sliding shafts, drawer glides, etc
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-20-2018, 09:20 PM)Cecil Wrote: The ShopSmith manual says to use a sewing machine oil, just 1 or two drops on their Reeves pulley.

^^^

What he said or it is also called light machine oil.  Make sure the surface is rust free and then apply the oil and wipe it with a dry cloth afterwards to remove and standing oil.  Then do so every 4 to 6 months and make sure you do the ways and all the other surfaces also on a regular basis.

For me I take the high speed air grinder with a 3" roloc green disc and remove everything off of it.  I then put on a coat of paste wax and buff it up with the same system the 3" roloc felt disc and it will really set the wax in and then I apply another coat after that.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I was/am lubing the slide that the reeves travels on, not the reeves itself. For the Reeves I have some light oil. I ended up with moly grease on the recommendation of Timberwolf for lubrication and rust protection.
(01-20-2018, 05:44 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I tore down my lathe today.  It's an older Delta, built sometime in the 80s I think.  The speed adjustment is a handle that moves a reeves pulley up and down on a slide.     I've taken it apart and am in the process of cleaning all the moving parts to get it operating more smoothly.   Here's the reeves assembly.  the assembly travels up and down on a piece of round bar stock that goes through those two large holes.   When I re-assemble it, what's the best lubricant? I don't want to use oil or grease because it's a lathe and will attract dirt.  I'd also like something that can be a rust inhibitor, if possible.  

I’ve worked with precision American and Swiss lathes for 35 years. Without exception, all current documentation and manufacturers of the machine tools I use recommend Mobil Velocite 22 Spindle oil for fast moving bearings and parts and Mobil Vactra Way oil for cross slides etc... 

Of course, for the woodworking lathe headstocks, Spindle oil would be all that is needed. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/#13595K71

Just my $.02 worth to add to the already great responses.
We work to become, not to acquire.
(01-21-2018, 08:35 PM)Stanley McMahan Wrote: I’ve worked with precision American and Swiss lathes for 35 years. Without exception, all current documentation and manufacturers of the machine tools I use recommend Mobil Velocite 22 Spindle oil for fast moving bearings and parts and Mobil Vactra Way oil for cross slides etc... 

Of course, for the woodworking lathe headstocks, Spindle oil would be all that is needed. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/#13595K71

Just my $.02 worth to add to the already great responses.
I use full synthetic engine oil for spindle bearings on my vintage metal lathes and Vactra for the ways, but any lubrication is better than no lubrication.
Big Grin ,,I have had one metal lathe for fifty years..it wasn't "vintage" when I bought it.....
Crazy
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-25-2018, 09:06 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
it wasn't "vintage" when I bought it.....
Crazy  
Big Grin

Yea, but you were, Dad.
Winkgrin 
Crazy software. I just got notice you posted this 4 days ago. Time warp?
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-29-2018, 09:47 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Yea, but you were, Dad.
Winkgrin 
Crazy software. I just got notice you posted this 4 days ago. Time warp?
Laugh
Yes, and you weren't even a "twinkle in the eye", you bum!!!!!!!
Crazy
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset