Red Oak with lots of specks or 'pecks'
Several years back I came upon red oak boards from a sawmill that is covered with what looks to be insect damage. I talked to a professor (wood guy) in Wisconsin about seven or eight years back and sent him a sample. He said he had only seen it once and referred to it as "Peck Oak". Said it was similar to Birdseye Maple in that no one knew what caused the 'pecks'. I was told that it was extremely rare and some refer to it as 'pecky oak'. Anyone know the scoop on this?

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper Fi
Do the PECKS go all the way through? Are they actually holes?
12 years ago a bug decimated the red oak stands up here in northern Minnesota, I bought a bunch of rough lumber that was full of tiny holes like that.
(01-20-2018, 06:36 PM)Bluepine Wrote: Do the PECKS go all the way through? Are they actually holes?
12 years ago a bug decimated the red oak stands up here in northern Minnesota, I bought a bunch of rough lumber that was full of tiny holes like that.

No, most do NOT go all the way through. There is no specific pattern, and do not match up board to board. However, some boards (5/4) do go all the way through, but most do not. Likely more of a disease type issue....
Semper Fi
I take unusual boards like that and emphasize the unusual aspects.  I would build a box out of the board.  Then take mahogany or walnut sawdust and make a putty and fill the holes to make them pop.  Sand it smooth, stain with natural watco oil and see how it turns out.  It would be one of a kind. 
Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I have some pine with the same markings. Most are not holes, just marks
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

pecky oak is what ive heard it called. the closest guess to cause is trees that were pruned of small branches (  epicormic branches ) during the tress growth.
Looks like insect damage to me.  Powder post beetles?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Looks like small bark inclusions.