Good deal on parallel clamps from Woodpeckers
Big Grin 
Just wanted to share...Hope this is the right place to post. 
I just ordered 2 pairs of 40" parallel clamps made under the Bora Portamate name from Woodpeckers for close to $38 per clamp including shipping. On backorder until 1/25/18. Looks like the smaller sizes are in stock ready to ship. Someone on lumberjocks said Menards carries the 24" version in store for $35/each but this is the better deal.

https://www.woodpeck.com/bora-portamate-clamps.html
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
(01-20-2018, 11:16 PM)alanealane Wrote: Just wanted to share...Hope this is the right place to post. 
I just ordered 2 pairs of 40" parallel clamps made under the Bora Portamate name from Woodpeckers for close to $38 per clamp including shipping. On backorder until 1/25/18. Looks like the smaller sizes are in stock ready to ship. Someone on lumberjocks said Menards carries the 24" version in store for $35/each but this is the better deal.

I just got in 2 24" and 2 31" clamps,  haven't used them yet, but they look good.
"There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other is that heat comes from the furnace." - Aldo Leopold
My local woodcraft (Woodridge, IL) has the 50" for 32.99.

Are these Bora clamps clones of the Bessey Revo clamps?
(01-21-2018, 10:27 AM)Chris S Wrote: My local woodcraft (Woodridge, IL) has the 50" for 32.99.

Are these Bora clamps clones of the Bessey Revo clamps?

that's a great deal. I'm not sure but I almost think bora is doing their own design and manufacturing. Hope they turn out to be good quality
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
Woodcraft in Parkersburg W.Va had the 50" Bora 4 packs on sale for $149 Back in December just before CHRISTmas. I brought a 4 pack home upon the request to buy them while on sale. She's a keeper!!
(01-21-2018, 11:22 PM)GlenS Wrote: Woodcraft in Parkersburg W.Va had the 50" Bora 4 packs on sale for $149 Back in December just before CHRISTmas. I brought a 4 pack home upon the request to buy them while on sale. She's a keeper!!

Big Grin SHE SURE IS!! And how's the quality of the clamps?
Alex
(01-20-2018, 11:16 PM)alanealane Wrote: Just wanted to share...Hope this is the right place to post. 

Just a follow-up to say thanks for posting this.  I ordered two sets and they arrived today, 1/26.  My initial impressions of the clamps is mostly favorable; however, the jaws are more flexible than my Bessey K-Body clamps.  It looks the jaws on the Bora clamps were intentionally designed to face inward to try to compensate for the flex that happens under load.  I'll have to do a more detailed side by side comparison with the K-Body clamps.  I'm sure the Bora clamps will work fine for 95% of what I'll ask of them and the price sure was good.  

John
alanealane

I feel they are a nice heavy clamp that should withstand years of use. However,, that being said,,I fuss over my joints so there is never a need for bearing down on the clamps too hard.

IMHO that is where clamps fail woodworkers. Bad joinery leading to excessive clamp pressure. Flat panels bow. Table aprons & stretchers bow.

I've not had a project where I've needed that kind of pressure in a long time. Over the years I've upgraded tools & machines plus taken the time to make different jigs. Maintenance on machines & fences maybe be dull & boring but the end result is beautiful.

If I need more 50" clamps I will buy these again.

And I couldn't agree more on my keeper!! She benefits the most from this endeavor!! I still don't have my desk that I've wanted to build since 1998!!! LOL
John I'm glad you got the deal!! Mine were waiting for me on the porch this afternoon too! What'd they do overnight them??
[Image: 25044106887_9ea3cd06f2_c_d.jpg]
Yeah the rigid jaw isn't perfectly square but when I tightened the clamp it straightened and stayed straight no matter how hard I tightened it.  They must know their stuff with the design and engineering! I also noticed that the "grippy" notches in the bar are more coarsely spaced compared to a Bessey or Gross-Stabil  clamp bar. But the Bora doesn't slide so loosely on the bar that it can smash your fingers like the Bessey can! I really really like that!

Glen you're right these seem well built and should last a long time. True the clamping force shouldn't need to be a half ton like they claim they can produce, but ain't it nice to have the extra horsepower anyway! 
Winkgrin  lol your honey-do list will probably never end but she sounds like she's worth it!
Alex
I agree with the extra HP on clamps. Always better to have & not need. I hope you have the same luck with yours I've had with mine. Albeit I've only used them twice so far.

It will never end but I don't really mind. Shop time is enjoyable regardless & the computer isn't on the floor. lol