Bandsaw boxes
(01-22-2018, 05:00 PM)Lucky Irish Wrote: I have two books by Lois Ventura that do a good job of describing the steps in making a bandsaw box. The designs in the book also show which cuts to make first, second, etc. when making multiple cuts.

I'm fairly certain I paid around $20 per book when I bought them a few years ago, but checking Amazon just now they run $25-45 for used ones.

These are a couple of her designs...

[Image: 2s9tzc5.jpg]

[Image: o5ree1.jpg]

So I ordered that 3/16" blade and gave it a try yesterday. I've never used my BS for anything more than rough ripping or rough cutting blanks for my lathe (well I just successfully tried resawing several days ago). This is the first time I've done anything close to resembling accuracy with it. I started making two boxes that look nearly identical to the last one that Irish posted. Wow. I'm amazed at how well that blade slices through the wood. I need to work on my fine control skills to make smoother curves, but I'm super impressed by it and excited to make more of these boxes.

Thanks for the tips and motivation to get me to try something new!
Semper fi,
Brad

You may find yourself addicted to making those bandsaw boxes.
Wink
(04-27-2018, 03:49 PM)Lucky Irish Wrote: You may find yourself addicted to making those bandsaw boxes.
Wink

Yeah, my first two are nearing completion.  If it weren't for all the damned sanding involved, I'd say I love every bit of it!

But, yeah, I know now what everybody is getting for Christmas this year...

Big Grin
Semper fi,
Brad

The first two were a success!  And a lot of fun to make.  I posted them on my FB page and somebody bought one.  Sure wasn't expecting that!

One is a Mother's Day gift for my mom, the other is a 90th b-day gift for my wife's grandmother.

[Image: FW8LMmi.jpg]

[Image: HOk19Ww.jpg]
Semper fi,
Brad

Nice work Brad hope to see more.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Well done...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l9Tllo1thElT5gvVOU" width="480" height="350" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>
via GIPHY
Ok.  You guys are just showing off now. 
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin

I have made one - it was fun to do but not like any of those. 

Maybe I'll try again.  I really like those things.  Great presents for the female side of the family.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(05-14-2018, 03:26 PM)John Mihich Wrote: Ok.  You guys are just showing off now. 
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin

I have made one - it was fun to do but not like any of those. 

Maybe I'll try again.  I really like those things.  Great presents for the female side of the family.

John

I would like to make some also for the ladies in my family but something like 16"high to 20" high and 10" wide.  Where the necklaces will hang neatly and then ring and other drawers for whatever's.  I would really like a nice flower or tree shape.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
More boxes join the herd - still 4 more in progress.

Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here