Red oak with a lot of bug holes
This wood came from some shelving I tore out of my basement last winter . They came out a little darker than I would have liked . If I make it home next weekend , I will finish them .

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Those are sweet!!
(01-22-2018, 07:25 AM)fishhh4 Wrote: This wood came from some shelving I tore out of my basement last winter . They came out a little darker than I would have liked . If I make it home next weekend , I will finish them .

Well done - congrats!
Yes

There is another thread ongoing about this type of oak - the term 'peck' is being used (have you seen the comments?) - but just curious assume that the oak was like that when installed?  Do you known if the appearance is due to some infestation?  Thanks - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
I can only imagine it was kiln dryed before it was originally installed......1950's .

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Cool, I like it.

I am working on a project now with wormy quartersawn white oak 
Yes
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
(01-22-2018, 07:37 PM)2beast Wrote: Cool, I like it.

I am working on a project now with wormy quartersawn white oak 
Yes

I was told by somebody that I would never see wormy white oak , Only Red . Bugs don't like white oak . They musta been wrong .

(01-22-2018, 07:42 PM)fishhh4 Wrote: I was told by somebody that I would never see wormy white oak , Only Red . Bugs don't like white oak . They musta been wrong .

My impression too - QS white oak is for wine & bourbon barrels - don't want worms in my beverages of choice! 
Big Grin  
Cool  Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
Very nice!
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

That's the way to highlight the natural beauty in a unique piece of wood!
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
(01-22-2018, 07:42 PM)fishhh4 Wrote: I was told by somebody that I would never see wormy white oak , Only Red . Bugs don't like white oak . They musta been wrong .

Quartersawn white oak in my latest project.
I have thousands of board feet of white oak.

Not many wormy ones in the pile fortunately 
Smirk

Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery