Red oak with a lot of bug holes
Those are nice. Did you fill the holes or just leave them? I'm working on a table right now with wood that looks very similar to yours. Only problem is, the the wife wants the holes filled. Any suggestions on the best way to fill the hundreds of holes in a table top.

George
(01-23-2018, 10:56 AM)2beast Wrote: Quartersawn white oak in my latest project.
I have thousands of board feet of white oak.

Not many wormy ones in the pile fortunately 
Smirk
I don't know.......  Those holes look kinda fishy to me.  With that staining, might be shot.  Also, they are pretty uniform and patterned.
I hope it's worms.

RP
(01-23-2018, 05:55 PM)RPE1 Wrote: I don't know.......  Those holes look kinda fishy to me.  With that staining, might be shot.  Also, they are pretty uniform and patterned.
I hope it's worms.

RP

Nope, they are bug holes.
Tracks follow deeply into and through the wood, no shot would do that.

I have worked with this stuff for years and their is no mistaking it 
Raised
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
(01-23-2018, 04:24 PM)George Wells Wrote: Those are nice.  Did you fill the holes or just leave them?  I'm working on a table right now with wood that looks very similar to yours. Only problem is, the the wife wants the holes filled.  Any suggestions on the best way to fill the hundreds of holes in a table top.

George

I only got them stained before I had to leave for the week . I will hit them with seal coat ...heavy on the 4 horizontal surfaces . Then two coats of a waterborn poly  ...heavy on the horizontals  . I will wait a week and try to level sand the four tops . Then one or two more heavy coats on the flat horizontal  surfaces . Just so when I dust I am not filling them up with dust . The verticals I am not as worried about . They make a grain filler for oak . I did not want to use a filler .

filler

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.