Finish Question
Have just built a table for our Airstream.  Walnut, maple, birch, Paduuk.  Need direction on a good finish.
Prefer hand applied, grain filling and not high gloss. Would like a satin or semi gloss finish.  Would also like it to be durable as we will be eating and playing games on it for many years to come.  

Many thanks.
Epoxy, i.e. bar-top finish would be the only one I can think of as a single step to do all you list. But might be too glossy for your taste.

Otherwise a seal coat of shellac followed by a good grainfiller and then a good brushed coat or two of polyurethane such as GF Enduro-Var.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Yes, I think you will need to fill the grain if you want it dead flat.  Crystallac WB filler worked really well for me.  For a finish I would consider GF's Arm-R-Seal OB wipe on poly.  Comes in satin, semi gloss, and gloss.  Behlen's Rock Hard Urethane varnish or Waterlox would be good choices, too.  

John
I refinished several tables for the local Starbucks shop with 3 coats of gloss plus a final coat of semi-gloss Minwax oil base.  These tables lasted 10 years in that commercial environment and looked excellent when retired.   Applied over 4 days with sponge brushes.  

Based on that experience I would recommend the same.

P.S.:  The local Starbucks just got in new tables last month.  They are starting to look like crap already.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.