It's finally done
Now that right there is worth some serious brownie points.BEAUTIFUL work,you should be very proud.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(01-22-2018, 03:23 PM)crokett™ Wrote: That's spectacular. When you say Deft spray, did you thin Deft brush on, or did you use Rattlecan? If you thinned it, what was the ratio?

Actually, it was 3 rattlecans. except gloss Deft doesn't rattle. There are no suspended solids to settle out and requires remixing.

(01-22-2018, 03:33 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Outstanding! That is just beautiful.

Each project I complete builds skill toward the next... and I am grateful that miss T has always been supportive. The phrases I hear most often are,
"Of course you can do it," and "If you need it, order it." I am blessed. Seems like we both are.
I sure am.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Dude that looks awesome
Cool now can you make one in green
Laugh . nice job
Yes
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(01-22-2018, 03:40 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: Actually, it was 3 rattlecans. except gloss Deft doesn't rattle.  There are no suspended solids to settle out and requires remixing.

I sure am.

Thanks.   I just ordered some.  I have a project on the lathe right now I was thinking of attempting lacquer on.  Since my brother moved his wedding date up, well, he's probably getting an IOU from me on the gift.
(01-22-2018, 05:21 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Thanks.   I just ordered some.  I have a project on the lathe right now I was thinking of attempting lacquer on.  Since my brother moved his wedding date up, well, he's probably getting an IOU from me on the gift.

When I started using Deft, I didn't put enough on so it dried with a rough matte finish that would not buff out. It had to be sanded smooth and coated again....and again.... and again as I learned. Then I put too much on and it would create drips and sags, causing more sanding.

When I spun the lathe too slow, too much finish landed in one spot, causing a drip. When I spun it too fast, the piece would stir up the air so badly that a lot of the finish wouldn't even reach the piece. The finish that got there would frequently drip to toward the largest diameter as centrifugal force slung the finish outward. In both cases, you guessed it...... more sanding.

My technique ended up as: Aim several fairly bright lights at the piece because you want to watch for their reflection in the wet surface. Starting with a smooth surface, spin the lathe at around 200 rpm. Get the can 6 to 8" away from the piece and point it toward the bottom ring of the piece. Spray without moving the can, creating a ring of finish. When you start spraying, the surface will turn cloudy. Keep spraying just until the reflection of the light shows it turning glossy. The moment it turns glossy, QUIT! Move to the next ring up and repeat until you get to the other end. You want to overlap the finish just enough to keep a fully wet edge but don't get too much in one place.

Keeping a full wet but not drippy will minimize the sanding and buffing.

The good news is that it's hard to screw it up so badly that you can't sand it off and try again. I never created firewood because of an irrepairably botched finish.

Your mileage may vary, of course.
What a beautiful piece of art.  I’m new to wood turning.  Such beautiful things are turned.  I hope I live long enough to acquire the skills for that kind of art.  I am pushing 70 this year.  I figure I have 30 more yet.
Laugh
(01-22-2018, 07:33 PM)peter-m Wrote: What a beautiful piece of art.  I’m new to wood turning.  Such beautiful things are turned.  I hope I live long enough to acquire the skills for that kind of art.  I am pushing 70 this year.  I figure I have 30 more yet.
Laugh

I've only been doing this for 10 months so I'm pretty new at it myself.
thanks for the suggestions.  I've only ever done lacquer with the piece off the lathe.  I will try it with the piece on and see what happens.
Awesome ... Great job
28" x 15-1/2"! Wow that picture is misleading. Beautiful piece!