Dust Management
I've decided to do something about dust management at the lathe. Nothing is reasonably priced, so I'm making my own hood and method to place the "hood" and remove it, when necessary.

I imagine each of you has a different setup and it would be interesting to see the solutions each of you have. When I get mine built, I'll post some photos. Luckily, the PM3520 has the "A" shaped thingy that hangs out (intended for a wire cage holder). That bracket "thingy" has a 3/4" hole, that I can use to put a steel rod into, which will be the main support for the hood I'm making.

I just hope my setup really sucks.
(01-23-2018, 03:41 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: I've decided to do something about dust management at the lathe. Nothing is reasonably priced, so I'm making my own hood and method to place the "hood" and remove it, when necessary.

I imagine each of you has a different setup and it would be interesting to see the solutions each of you have. When I get mine built, I'll post some photos. Luckily, the PM3520 has the "A" shaped thingy that hangs out (intended for a wire cage holder). That bracket "thingy" has a 3/4" hole, that I can use to put a steel rod into, which will be the main support for the hood I'm making.

Gravity is your friend.  Pull the dust down, don't try to suck it up.  I wants to fall, after all.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
My setup is the wood chips and shavings fall on the floor. Dust collection is a broom and dustpan for most of it when I get tired of walking on it and a shop vac for the rest. For sanding, dust collection is my shop vac hose in one hand and the drill or abrasive in the other. I keep saying I'm going to figure out some way to hold the shop vac hose. I tried making the Phil Thein separator several years ago, it didn't work all that well and I didn't/don't have enough tool control to steer the shavings into the hose anyway.
(01-23-2018, 04:24 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Gravity is your friend.  Pull the dust down, don't try to suck it up.  I wants to fall, after all.

Yes, that's a good thing to keep in mind.
(01-23-2018, 04:56 PM)crokett™ Wrote: My setup is the wood chips and shavings fall on the floor.  Dust collection is a broom and dustpan for most of it when I get tired of walking on it and a shop vac for the rest.  For sanding, dust collection is my shop vac hose in one hand and the drill or abrasive in the other.  I keep saying I'm going to figure out some way to hold the shop vac hose.    I tried making the Phil Thein separator several years ago, it didn't work all that well and I didn't/don't have enough tool control to steer the shavings into the hose anyway.

I understand your input of levity... however... for any potential newcomers, I'd like to stop and explain some things.

The chips and shavings are welcome to fall were they may, but, up till now, I wear a respirator when sanding projects on the lathe. My lungs are protected (which is the most important thing), but the shop and even the rest of the house, gets dusty.... like really fast. The woodshop being dusty, usually isn't all that big a deal, but, the dust gets tracked into the house or ducted in the house. (basement woodshop)

So, while sanding at the lathe, I am making a real effort to use the Jet™ dust collector I already have (which is hooked up to the planer/jointer/drum sander.

The project is coming along pretty well. I'm waiting on some hose that I've ordered.

In this way, the airborne dust should be very much reduced.
I have a 6" duct that ends at the lathe and is normally capped off, but it moves a lot of air for sanding bowls, and using the sanding disc.  That mess on the lathe is black HDPE, which doesn't make dust, and I didn't want it in the cyclone anyway. 

I keep thinking I should made a wide funnel, the width of the lathe, with sliding doors to limit the opening to the area near where the work is being done.  Have to think about that some more.  

Well that's not good - image shows in the editing box, but not in the post.  
No

Got it.  Had to reload it.  I guess I can't recycle images already uploaded to the site.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(01-24-2018, 08:04 PM)TDKPE Wrote: I have a 6" duct that ends at the lathe and is normally capped off, but it moves a lot of air for sanding bowls, and using the sanding disc.  That mess on the lathe is black HDPE, which doesn't make dust, and I didn't want it in the cyclone anyway. 

I keep thinking I should made a wide funnel, the width of the lathe, with sliding doors to limit the opening to the area near where the work is being done.  Have to think about that some more.  

Well that's not good - image shows in the editing box, but not in the post.  
No

Got it.  Had to reload it.  I guess I can't recycle images already uploaded to the site.

Nice Tidy system you have. What is HDPE?
(01-23-2018, 03:41 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: I've decided to do something about dust management at the lathe. Nothing is reasonably priced, so I'm making my own hood and method to place the "hood" and remove it, when necessary.

I have a 3 hp dustcollector right beside my lathe. 3 shop vacs and 2 filtered dust collection fans and 2 ceiling hung air cleaners. I'm here to tell you the dust wins
HDPE is High Density Polyethylene (cutting board material)
(01-24-2018, 08:49 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: Nice Tidy system you have. What is HDPE?

Thanks.  Notice the nice 4" duct tucked between the joists that terminates right over the TS.  One of these years I'm going to put a Shark Guard on that saw and hook that duct up.  
Uhoh

That particular HDPE was a piece of StarBoard® that I was making some boat parts out of.  Stuff makes loooong peels and gets wrapped around the work.  But it's very easy to machine.  

And yes, lots of cutting boards were made of the same stuff (same material as most opaque plastic bottles, by the way), but lately I've been getting polystyrene boards  from DW, and that stuff melts easily when machining, rather than cutting cleanly.  Especially when sanding.   
Upset
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"