I'm in the wrong line or work. $3,000 barn wood doors
I was working a job finishing up the air conditioning and I noticed these barn wood doors the general contractor was installing in some of the offices and we got to talking about them.  The customer paid $3,000 per door and 10 were installed in the suite.  The general contractor ordered the barn wood and built them on site.

Somebody is either very good at talking folks into utilizing their money foolishly or somebody is just plain stupid. Or maybe both, as in this case.

Heck, for twenty bucks I could build a door like that. The hardware would cost a wee bit more, though.
(01-23-2018, 05:21 PM)Tynyyn Wrote: Somebody is either very good at talking folks into utilizing their money foolishly or somebody is just plain stupid.  Or maybe both, as in this case.

Heck, for twenty bucks I could build a door like that.  The hardware would cost a wee bit more, though.

There is a place called Chartreuse near Frederick, MD. It specializes in "vintage," "barnwood," and all of that. Being close to DC/NoVA, there is a lot of disposable income to be spent, and people dispose of it freely. This sort of thing happens all the time and if you ask me it gives woodworkers a bad name.

My wife and I were up there last year or maybe two years ago and we were standing next to a "farm table" that was nothing more than construction-grade 2x6s edge-joined (not jointed, just butted) stained on one side only with regular Minwax. The legs and apron were store bought plain legs with regular old 1x pine painted white. This table was "rustic" and thus worth $900. It blew my mind that anybody would want it, but another couple was standing there thinking we were competing buyers until I told them I wouldn't buy the table as it isn't constructed properly and won't last.

Oh well. Fools and their money and all of that.
I'll be the outlier here:  More power to the contractor for making some do-re-mi, more power to the client for being able to afford them.

Nothing puts a smile on my face more than big cash being spent.

Money makes the world go 'round.  More money makes it go 'round faster.
See those going into lots of high end homes and renovations since Fixer Upper hit TV
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

They look out of place in that setting.

Ed
(01-23-2018, 04:19 PM)Duane N Wrote: I was working a job finishing up the air conditioning and I noticed these barn wood doors the general contractor was installing in some of the offices and we got to talking about them.  The customer paid $3,000 per door and 10 were installed in the suite.  The general contractor ordered the barn wood and built them on site.

That's nothing. There is TONS of money in commercial/retail finish work. 

I know a guy that owns a construction company that does only build outs of offices and retail stores. Last year they did a doctor's office...where they did a receptionist desk that was semicircular, and maybe 24' in total length, and a wood wall of wainscoting that the office doctors photos were hung on. 

120k just for those two items. I would have figured 8-10K....dont get me wrong, it was stellar. 

Its just like me not even thinking twice about spending $400 for a festool sander versus a hobby guy that might use it once a month chokes....I use it everyday...makes work more efficient, and pays for itself is snort time. 

For a office/retail space, they are putting lipstick on, to either wow customers/clients or potential customers. Its why law firms commission 50k+ on solid slab conference tables. Image is everything to a lot of businesses. Its a world most of us cant even imagine.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(01-23-2018, 06:59 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I'll be the outlier here:  More power to the contractor for making some do-re-mi, more power to the client for being able to afford them.

Nothing puts a smile on my face more than big cash being spent.

Money makes the world go 'round.  More money makes it go 'round faster.

What do you need made, Phil?  I'm happy to help you keep the world turning really fast.  I ship, no problem.  

John
John, I’m not in the market for any beautifully crafted projects but let me tell you something: If I were, and having seen the items you build, I’d make it rain for you.
(01-23-2018, 08:37 PM)packerguy® Wrote: That's nothing. There is TONS of money in commercial/retail finish work. 

Its why law firms commission 50k+ on solid slab conference tables. Image is everything to a lot of businesses. Its a world most of us cant even imagine.

Three years ago I was in business negotiations at a major law firm in DC (300 lawyers in that office, within a 5 minute walk to the White House, perhaps 1500+ lawyers worldwide, partners include former cabinet officials, etc., i.e., the "Swamp"), the room was huge, about 75' x 150', had a mini stage on one end, and in the middle was a conference table that was 40' x 100' all wired with microphones, etc.; I commented on the size of the table to one of the partners, who said yeah, he was on the committee that designed the room and that the table was pretty expensive.  When I asked how much he said $270k.  So not being shy, I peeked underneath the overhang where I was sitting. Nothing more than a boxed in area, perhaps with 2x support structures underneath, mdf with a quite nice figured maple veneer. It was in about 8 clearly visible sections.  At the time I thought that was a bit much for what it was, but I must admit it made a statement.  For that dough, you could build several Habitat houses in DC.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis