I'm in the wrong line or work. $3,000 barn wood doors
Am I the only one wondering why the doors only cove half the opening? You also can't open the full extent of the closet or whatever that room is. The doors will fall off the tracks.

Ken
(01-26-2018, 02:17 PM)TangoTwo Wrote: Am I the only one wondering why the doors only cove half the opening? You also can't open the full extent of the closet or whatever that room is. The doors will fall off the tracks.

Ken

Pssst....look close on the left side of both doors. There are glass windows there.
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-23-2018, 10:28 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: John, I’m not in the market for any beautifully crafted projects but let me tell you something: If I were, and having seen the items you build, I’d make it rain for you.

I think I'd have to agree with this statement!
(01-26-2018, 04:41 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Pssst....look close on the left side of both doors. There are glass windows there.
Winkgrin

Can't believe they didn't use antique glass.
(a bit of rough wood can integrate okay into an overall look, but this one doesn't seem to be that)

But what are the lucky rooms behind the doors?  Walk in office-supply closet?  magazine browsing area? teleconference room?
Do they have any idea how bad the acoustics will be?  (revererations off the walls and glass, and noise leaking out through the barn doors)

Matt
Unless any of us are in the same profession as the guy paying $3,000 for pallet wood barn doors, we are all in the wrong line of work.
A carpenter's house is never done.
Woodnet is very patriotic and capitalism is wonderful, unless someone else is making money at woodworking, then it sucks.
Laugh
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Saw a TV ad for a furniture store and they featured a freestanding unit with barn doors.  The unit itself looked like a melamine affair with some masonite crown molding above the rails for the doors.  The barn doors were like the ones in the OP.  The ad special was for $2200.
Just from the picture in the ad, it looked like the lower part had drawers and doors.  This means you'd have to move the barn doors to access the drawers and smaller doors behind them. 

Speaking of people with more money than sense, my brother in law does wall coverings but not just wallpaper.  He just finished doing work in a house in Newport Beach, CA.  The home theater walls were crocodile skin strips.  They spent $300K on the dogs' "bedroom and bath".  He said the kitchen cabinets cost more than his home and they looked like concrete tiltup.
Didn't something just become legal in CA?  That may explain a few things.

To answer some questions...the barn doors are office doors not closets.  This business sprays for mosquitos...a necessary evil in this area.
(01-28-2018, 05:42 PM)Richard D. Wrote: Woodnet is very patriotic and capitalism is wonderful, unless someone else is making money at woodworking, then it sucks.
Laugh

It's good financially for the individual who's charging $3000 for something that isn't worth a third of that.

It's also bad for other woodworkers who don't want to be branded as the type to markup junk by such a large margin.

Premiums are demanded when the work itself is of such good quality that it's very difficult to reproduce (think John Fry and Dave Diaman) or the material itself is extremely rare or unique (the legendary mahogany tree, ebony, ziricote, stuff like that). Those barnwood doors are neither, so charging such a price represents taking advantage of the customer.

Just because a customer is willing to pay an exorbitant price doesn't mean it's not an exorbitant price. I've paid $5 for a bottle of water at an amusement park or $10 for a beer at a sporting event. That doesn't change my opinion of the institutions that charge those prices. I do not want to do repeat business with them and only do so when I'm a captive audience.
(01-26-2018, 11:57 PM)mdhills Wrote: But what are the lucky rooms behind the doors?  Walk in office-supply closet?  magazine browsing area? teleconference room?
Do they have any idea how bad the acoustics will be?  (revererations off the walls and glass, and noise leaking out through the barn doors)

Matt

My wife really likes the idea of barn doors, even wanted one in the new bathroom addition we added to the bonus room over the garage.  I hope this room will become the T.V. room one day.  I had to nix that idea as I feel a bathroom should be soundproof, no one wants to share or hear the noises, that would escape a barn door.
A carpenter's house is never done.