chimney liner
I had my furnace replaced waaayyy back in '06 with a 97% efficient furnace that now vents out of the back of my house.  Among other things that the installers didn't do correctly was inform me that I should install a chimney liner for my gas water heater as it is now the only thing that is using the chimney.  
I am now planning to add a basement bathroom which necessitates moving the water heater to the other side of the chimney.  When I move the water heater I want to install it correctly with the chimney liner.  I have found some aluminum liners that will work but I have just one  question...
  I know how to get a 4" hole in the block but all of the kits that I have seen do NOT have a 2 piece tee to transition from the vertical to horizontal.   The kits for wood burning devices all seem to have the 2 piece tee but not the gas appliance kits.  They all seem to want you to bend the flex pipe thru the hole directly into the water heater.  Is this easy to bend the flex pipe thru what I assume would need to be a 5" thimble?  If I put it thru a 5" thimble then how to I seal the gap between the 4" flex pipe and the thimble?
No thimble.  Typically we will break about a 6x6 hole in the block and fish the flex out through that.  A piece of sheet metal, 12 x 12 ish, with a centered hole slightly larger than the OD of the flex.  High temp silicone and 4 tapcons finish the job.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(01-23-2018, 04:51 PM)carwashguy Wrote: I had my furnace replaced waaayyy back in '06 with a 97% efficient furnace that now vents out of the back of my house.  Among other things that the installers didn't do correctly was inform me that I should install a chimney liner for my gas water heater as it is now the only thing that is using the chimney.  
I am now planning to add a basement bathroom which necessitates moving the water heater to the other side of the chimney.  When I move the water heater I want to install it correctly with the chimney liner.  I have found some aluminum liners that will work but I have just one  question...
  I know how to get a 4" hole in the block but all of the kits that I have seen do NOT have a 2 piece tee to transition from the vertical to horizontal.   The kits for wood burning devices all seem to have the 2 piece tee but not the gas appliance kits.  They all seem to want you to bend the flex pipe thru the hole directly into the water heater.  Is this easy to bend the flex pipe thru what I assume would need to be a 5" thimble?  If I put it thru a 5" thimble then how to I seal the gap between the 4" flex pipe and the thimble?

Aluminum liners?  I had no clue you could use aluminum.  

John
(01-23-2018, 07:07 PM)blackhat Wrote: No thimble.  Typically we will break about a 6x6 hole in the block and fish the flex out through that.  A piece of sheet metal, 12 x 12 ish, with a centered hole slightly larger than the OD of the flex.  High temp silicone and 4 tapcons finish the job.
Thanks Blackhat.  I had seen some install photos online that didn't include the sheet metal.  I knew i didn't want to do it that way!