Magazine suggestion
(01-25-2018, 02:14 AM)BobW Wrote: As for input on your tool purchases, all you have to do is enter a post here and you will get more opinions than you thought possible, but there are certain givens:

The only table saw you should even consider if you value your safety is a SawStop

The only hand power tools worth having are Festool

For hand tools, you need to go with Lie Nielsen or Veritas

Of course, old used tools from the good ol' days are good, too, in lieu of any of the above! 
Big Grin

That is a bit elitist, Bob (IMO). If the OP is wealthy, your suggestions are fine. I don’t think saying that the most expensive or nearly most expensive tools in each category is the only way to go is either true or necessary for a beginner. 

If I were starting out now, I would probably get a SawStop. However, money is not a major consideration for me.

The only hand power tools worth having are Festool? Maybe if you are a pro, who depends on the tools to make your living. But that’s like saying, “The only car worth having is a Rolls-Royce”. There are plenty of moderately priced power tools out there that will serve a beginning hobbyist well. There are also some cheap (in both senses of the word) power tools that should be avoided.

Lie Nielsen and Veritas make excellent hand tools. I have some. I also have some older Stanley, Union, and Keen Kutter tools. But some of the less expensive planes, chisels, etc., will also work fine.

All the tools you recommended are top quality and have the prices to match. I don’t see that as appropriate for someone who is just starting to check out a hobby.
Hank Gillette
I thought Bob's comments were tongue in cheek....
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Sometimes a person just likes the tactile feel of paper. Thumbing through a magazine can be relaxing and satisfying. The value of the information is less important that the photos and the ads with all the neat new stuff. I like the more complicated or heirloomy magazines for this, popular woodworking and fine woodworking. 
For ideas and if the feel of paper doesn't matter, then dvd's with collections if my favorite. I have every pop wood and fine woodworking ever published on cd. 
In all cases, here's the problem with all project articles as well as every other forum that shows a project build, video, tv show etc. They show how that particular builder built that particular project, with his particular tools and skill and his choice of material. Maybe you don't have a multi-router or a domino. I remember when Norm used to put things through his 24" drum sander, uh yeah, we all have one of those.
(01-27-2018, 12:02 PM)hankgillette Wrote: That is a bit elitist, Bob (IMO). If the OP is wealthy, your suggestions are fine. I don’t think saying that the most expensive or nearly most expensive tools in each category is the only way to go is either true or necessary for a beginner. 

If I were starting out now, I would probably get a SawStop. However, money is not a major consideration for me.

The only hand power tools worth having are Festool? Maybe if you are a pro, who depends on the tools to make your living. But that’s like saying, “The only car worth having is a Rolls-Royce”. There are plenty of moderately priced power tools out there that will serve a beginning hobbyist well. There are also some cheap (in both senses of the word) power tools that should be avoided.

Lie Nielsen and Veritas make excellent hand tools. I have some. I also have some older Stanley, Union, and Keen Kutter tools. But some of the less expensive planes, chisels, etc., will also work fine.

All the tools you recommended are top quality and have the prices to match. I don’t see that as appropriate for someone who is just starting to check out a hobby.

I was being facetious...sorry you didn't get it
Rolleyes   And for the record:  With the exception of Veritas, I have none of the tool brands referenced.
Bob
(01-27-2018, 02:37 PM)BobW Wrote: I was being facetious...sorry you didn't get it
Rolleyes   And for the record:  With the exception of Veritas, I have none of the tool brands referenced.

Facetious or not, your SawStop pick is spot on. In 10 years or a little longer, I expect most cabinet saws regardless of brands would have the SawStop feature. It will be no different than modern cars with airbags and all other safety features.

Simon
Wow my eyes started crossing reading all these replies...didn't yours? Lol anyway I'm a fan of FWW (check eBay...I recently saw many individual year sets of issues for like 10 to 12 bucks shipped!) I subscribed to the back issue archive and found it quite nice to search a subject and choose from many helpful articles, and then to bookmark whatever i want for later reading. And I also like Wood magazine.
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
I highly recommend Wood Worker’s Guild of America (WWGOA) online subscription. I have learned so much from that site and have purchased many of their DVD’s and online classes. George Vondriska is an amazing instructor and teaches in a way that is very easy to follow. Sign up for their email list and in a couple weeks you will get an offer to join as a premium member for only $7 for the year. You WILL learn from that site way more than you ever will from a magazine which are more advertising than anything anymore.