Where to get good square drive screws?
Im a SPAX fan.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I have been using the HighPoint screws from Woodcraft for around 5 years now and never had a defective one (bad threads, etc...) and never twisted one off in the work to the best of my recollection.

They used to sell a really nice assortment box with two drivers but I can't seem to locate that on their web site now. Just bulk quantities of each size.

My $.02 worth.
We work to become, not to acquire.
(01-24-2018, 08:51 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Im a SPAX fan.

Me too. Never had a Spax break. Square drive works great and you can use a Phillips driver in a pinch. Available lots of places.
I absolutely HATE Spax. For one, they don't use the same size bit for every screw and for second, the bits will not hold the screws firmly.

GRX screws are much better.

I've always had good luck with McFeeley's haven't bought any recently.

Try Quickscrews.com & wwhardware.com

If you can get Robertson, they are the Rolls Royce of Sq Drive screws don't know if they distribute in US
Our Menards sells both of them in quality and quantity.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-24-2018, 08:51 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Im a SPANDEX fan for men

Shudder....
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Do any of the above recommended sources offer a package of screws?    If someone was to offer a package of assorted size of #6 or #8s, it would be nice to fill my screw organizer with a years supply of good screws.  As it stands its not worth the effort to spend time online just to save some money on screws.  I am heading to the big city to visit the Depot to restock for the next two months.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(01-25-2018, 08:16 PM)photobug Wrote: Do any of the above recommended sources offer a package of screws?    If someone was to offer a package of assorted size of #6 or #8s, it would be nice to fill my screw organizer with a years supply of good screws.  As it stands its not worth the effort to spend time online just to save some money on screws.  I am heading to the big city to visit the Depot to restock for the next two months.

HighPoint Screws from Woodcraft come in packs of 100. I reorder as soon as I have less than 20 of any one size. 

Of course, I can pick them up in the store too!

I use the black oxide. They have SS for outdoor use also.

https://www.woodcraft.com/categories/screws

Description from Amazon web site:

Extra Torque (XT) means just that! Commonly available screws will actually break around 25-30 inch/lbs. While that may be fine for drywall or other light duty applications, woodworking demands something better. HIGHPOINT extra torque woodworking screws are engineered for tough applications and offer almost twice the torque values of other screws! Special attention is given to design as well as the heat treating process to produce one tough screw! With a super sharp point and deep, biting threads, these screws will cut their way into just about any common hardwood you will use. There are many advantages of a Square Drive design. Bits are less likely to jump out of the recess and allow you to use more driving torque. Square Drive offers a positive “stick-fit” which tends to stay on screwdriver bit tip, which is handy starting screws overhead or from other difficult angles. The positive fit means your bits will last longer and you are less likely to damage the screw. If you have driven screws that fall off the bit then you understand what we mean! These screws are unplated and are coated with a specially formulated dry lubricant which reduces driving torque and offers a minimal amount of corrosion resistance. Color may vary due to variations in the heat treating process and may exhibit shades of grey, brown or black. Dry lube finish fasteners are recommended for interior applications only. Not recommended for use in ACQ® treated lumber. 

HIGHPOINT XT woodworking screws size #6 have a #1 Square Drive recess and #8 have a #2 Square Drive recess.
We work to become, not to acquire.
I ordered about $140 of screws from quickscrew, hopefully that will hold me for a while
Square drive deck screws from Home Depot. As strong as anything you would have ordered from McFeely's. I've been using them for years.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe