Where to get good square drive screws?
Unfortunately my local box stores have stopped stocking square drive to stock the star drive
(01-25-2018, 05:02 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Shudder....

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-25-2018, 08:16 PM)photobug Wrote: Do any of the above recommended sources offer a package of screws?    If someone was to offer a package of assorted size of #6 or #8s, it would be nice to fill my screw organizer with a years supply of good screws.  As it stands its not worth the effort to spend time online just to save some money on screws.  I am heading to the big city to visit the Depot to restock for the next two months.

Again our Menards stocks from #4 screws, nuts and bolts up to 3/4" nuts and bolts
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
This thread has inspired me to organize my screw collections.

Attached Files Image(s)

A carpenter's house is never done.

Cool  Good idea. I have a couple of cases, and several coffee cans full.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-24-2018, 03:00 PM)bhh Wrote: I've been buying from wwhardware.com  Very nice screws.  Good quantity discounts.

https://www.wwhardware.com/ultimate-squa...ws-8-scus8

My local cabinet supply house carries the Deerwood screws in their "jar program."   IIRC, it's the same price for a number of sizes in 2# jars (about $10).   They are slightly different in that they are "Quadrex" (Phillips + Square) that I tend not to like as much.

Torx are good (GRK and Spax) but seem to be more costly.

I second Woodworkers Hardware and the Deerwood Ultimate Screw.  Countersinking nibs and the #17 drill point are the key benefits to these screws.
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
(01-29-2018, 09:52 AM)Stwood_ Wrote:
Cool  Good idea. I have a couple of cases, and several coffee cans full.

I had just a bunch of spax screws green boxes that I had to dig through each time I was using screws to build something.  This keeps them all lined up.  I like to use the smallest screws possible, then if a #6 does not bite, I can grab a #8 in the row below to get some better purchase.  I had recently put all my sub 2" spax in a cheaper plastic container but did not like the latches on it and felt it is just a matter of time before i dropped it and ended up playing a game of 452 pick up and then having to reorganize by sizes to their individual bins.

This storage container is two sided, it seemed like a good idea at the time but not sure now.  The two different types of screws will almost never be used at the same time or in the same project, so why drag my spax screws outside when I am doing a dimensional lumber and ply project.  I might switch to two stacking containers so the two type of screws can be separate for most of the time then clipped together if I go outside the home to do some projects.
Left. Screw container from Wurth. (German hardware co.)
Right, don't forget the fishing tackle boxes. 2 sided Plano box.

Hmmm fuzzy pic.
Raised
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I contacted Robertson's and they gave me this distributor: http://www.stockade.ca/
They sell by mail order in smaller quantities, although don't seem to have all the sizes and varities that the old McFeeleys did. I haven't actually placed an order with them yet.

No Menards here in the south.
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
(01-29-2018, 05:05 PM)Papa Jim Wrote: No Menards here in the south.

No Menard's in the West either.  I drove cross country to buy a sailboat about a year ago and had to stop in to get some emergency supplies in Pennsylvania at a Menards.  It was an interesting alternative to the other big box stores.  I wish they went nationwide.