Workbench location
This may sound like a basic question, but I am in the process of moving into a new shop, and I wanted to find out where most hand tool woodworkers place their bench in the shop.  My bench was against a wall in my old shop against the one window I had in the shop.  This shop also has one window, but I thinking of placing it in the middle of the floor, so I have access for all angles.  As nice as it is to be close to a window, having it against the wall does have it limitations.  

Harry
“Show us a man who never makes a mistake and we will show a man who never makes anything." 
I think room all round is great, but keep it in the better light. For me, anything smashed into a wall is really a shelf.
I have my cabinetmakers bench in the middle of the floor so I have access all around. But I have six other work benches that are against the walls.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
The shop building is 30 x 36', facing east/west. My shop area is 24 x 30', 10' ceiling. The Squeeze has her craft studio in the remaining space and both are separated by a wall with access door. Two windows are on the north and south walls.  My bench is located by the roll up door, has access on three sides, all four if I move a few things, and placed near a window so as to take advantage of natural light in the winter. Weather permitting, the roll up door is opened and provides a great deal of natural light.

I find that access to all four sides of the bench and plenty of natural light are very "handy".
My workbench is up against a wall with a big window. I love the window. I hate that I can't easily get around to the other side of the bench.

If I could, I'd move the workbench toward the middle of the room, but maybe 4-5 feet from the window so as to still take advantage of the natural light. Then I'd probably hang a shop light or two directly above the bench.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I sure like light over my shoulder / behind me at the bench.
Ag
I work out of a windowless two car garage. I positioned my workbench to have access to all four sides--really three sides, as one short side is a bit too close to the wall to actually work from that side. The location was strongly suggested by the positions of the light fixtures; the 4' 6" long bench sits directly below two 4' long flourescent bulbs. Here in Vegas, if I had a window, I would position the bench away from it; the glare that comes in when I open either the garage bay door or the person door renders most of the shop unuseable--too much light to see clearly.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
(01-24-2018, 02:51 PM)Harry Page Wrote: This may sound like a basic question, but I am in the process of moving into a new shop, and I wanted to find out where most hand tool woodworkers place their bench in the shop.  My bench was against a wall in my old shop against the one window I had in the shop.  This shop also has one window, but I thinking of placing it in the middle of the floor, so I have access for all angles.  As nice as it is to be close to a window, having it against the wall does have it limitations.  

Harry

I think you have to take into account all the other factors....tools, machines, work surfaces, lumber storage, physical structure of the shop, work flow, etc.....before you can decide where you'll place your bench. In my 13' x 28' shop, I originally wanted my bench standing alone away from a wall.....but, this caused real issues for other equipment placement.....it wasn't practical....workable. I had to compromise and have the bench against a wall to make all the other shop components work well in that limited space.
My shop just just about exactly the same size as rlance's shop. My bench is in (near) the center of one end. I don't often work from the "off" side of the bench, but I like being able to work on large pieces that can extend off the back of the bench. I used to have my bench against a wall, but I like my current placement much better. My advice would be to try your bench away from the window and see if you like it. You can always move it if you don't.
Away from the walls, and under some lights
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020