Gluing cedar
I recently bought some cedar fence slats from HD (5/8" x 51/4 x 6') to make some bluebird nesting houses.
They are VERY rough on both sides and probably not kiln dried. My initial thought was to run one face of two slats through the planer and then glue the planed faces together and then plane the outside faces, hoping to get about 7/8".

Sounds like a lot of time and effort but the slats were just $2.99 each and I have nothing but time!
Laugh

Couple of questions:
1. Should the growth rings be glued concave to concave or the opposite?
2. Using TB 3, will the laminated board self-destruct since it is not KD?

AS always, thanks.

Jerry
I would just plane it enough to get 1side smooth and start building.....

Ed
If you make the surfaces mate, use the right amount of glue, and keep it clamped up until the glue really is set, then you should have no problems. The wood itself will break before the glue joint does. Ring orientation doesn't matter much. Just put the nicest-looking face up.

I haven't used TB III, so I don't know what an optimal clamping time is. For TB II, when I'm clamping together a joint that has some internal stresses (say, a sprung edge joint) I like to leave the clamps on for three or four hours, though overnight doesn't hurt if you have the patience.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I would just build the boxes from the 5/8" material and leave the surfaces rough.  The birds would actually prefer the rough surface, especially on the side with the entrance so they can more easily cling to it.

But to answer your questions, either way would work for the orientation of the growth rings, and the TB III should be fine (I've used it on outdoor projects using big box WRC and have never had a failure).
Bob
(01-24-2018, 05:54 PM)BobW Wrote: I would just build the boxes from the 5/8" material and leave the surfaces rough.  The birds would actually prefer the rough surface, especially on the side with the entrance so they can more easily cling to it.

This^^^

Also, I've made many bluebird houses out of cedar, and some are over 20 years old still in service, and glued up with regular tightbond yellow glue.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-24-2018, 03:10 PM)budglo Wrote: I recently bought some cedar fence slats from HD (5/8" x 51/4 x 6') to make some bluebird nesting houses.
They are VERY rough on both sides and probably not kiln dried. My initial thought was to run one face of two slats through the planer and then glue the planed faces together and then plane the outside faces, hoping to get about 7/8".

Sounds like a lot of time and effort but the slats were just $2.99 each and I have nothing but time!
Laugh

Couple of questions:
1. Should the growth rings be glued concave to concave or the opposite?
2. Using TB 3, will the laminated board self-destruct since it is not KD?

AS always, thanks.

Jerry

I have Bluebird houses made of Western Red Cedar.  I used pickets as well.  Just glue and shoot them together.  The birds don't care.  They are going to turn grey anyway and get weathered.  You're not building furniture.  Get them out there so the scouts can find them.
RP
If you need a smooth surface for glue, you could rabbet the sides. Allows long grain for glue and rough sawn for the birds to cling to.

Ken
(01-25-2018, 08:14 AM)TangoTwo Wrote: If you need a smooth surface for glue, you could rabbet the sides. Allows long grain for glue and rough sawn for the birds to cling to.

Ken

Birds will nest in a hole in a dead tree..A fancy nest box means nothing to them..They prefer a rough finish inside and out.
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-25-2018, 08:56 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,
Birds will nest in a hole in a dead tree..A fancy nest box means nothing to them..They prefer a rough finish inside and out.
Big Grin

Smooth inside makes it fit better and cleans/disinfects easier.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(01-25-2018, 08:56 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,
Big Grin

They also don't measure the entrance hole to be sure it's exactly 1 1/8" either.
Big Grin