Grizzly G0505 planer
I've been looking at this planer for a while now. It's nearly identical to my 25+ yr old Craftsman. Eerily similar to be honest. The blades are 1/8"T & are double sided & resharpenable just like the Craftsman. They index on springs the same way. The index jig is different but still the same basic design.

Any experience with one of these planers? Good bad or indifferent? I appreciate all feedback!! And it helps that they have financing!!

Thank You!! 

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-1-2-Planer/G0505
First, I'll say that from all I hear, Grizzly's customer service and support is pretty good, though I've never owned any of their stuff personally.
Secondly, dust/chip removal may be an issue, especially if there is no on board blower system! And FWIW, Grizzly's pricing on the DeWalt DW734 (the internet darling for years) is only $24 more, includes a "free" stand and financing is also available!
Just My $.02 & Probably Due For A Discount!
Gene
Gene

"Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
Thank You Gene!! I certainly appreciate your thoughts on this.

The thing holding me back on the DeWalt are the throw away blades. I have access to free professional sharpening services so with an extra set of blades I'm only ever down long enough to flip them or swap them out.

I have a Delta 4" vac I use now & it gets 95% of the chips. With the available dust chute,, which appears to set low over the blades,, I think I'll be fine with out the onboard chip blower. My Craftsman doesn't have the blower either.

Thank You for your time. It is greatly appreciated!!

Glen
I gotta second Gene's comment about DeWalt's 734 model...I've had one for over 8 years and it still runs like new! I've run all sorts of species through it and it has done well with all of them. As for the knives, they're pretty good! You may find them nicking a bit more easily than other types of knives, but they leave a glassy smooth finish, especially when new, and their self-indexing design saves me from the headache of resetting them each time they are changed out. if what Gene says is true about the included stand, it seems like a great bargain. Unless you're an industrial shop who runs wide boards or panels through your planer, you don't really need one of the big floor models. Speaking of which, are you a hobbyist or a professional (or something in between)?

I don't know about the Grizzly model you're asking about, but what do online customer reviews say? Are there any professional reviews or tool tests that feature this planer? Any video reviews on youtube? I do have a Grizzly jointer, though, and other than the blade guard not retracting very well and its limiting width of only 6 inches, it's a great machine! And I'll back Gene up on their customer service, too. They've always been helpful. My gut feeling is that you won't get a BAD experience with this planer, but at the same time I think you should see what others have to say about it if you haven't already. All the types of reviews I have listed will help. Be sure to look at any negative reviews as well to see what the issues were. Sometimes if there are patterns of issues in those, even if those reviews only make up a small minority, it could be something to watch out for depending on what that issue is and how it affects the performance of the machine. I've learned the hard way to pay attention to patterns in negative customer reviews.

Good luck in your search!
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
Kingwood is right on the money with the comments concerning negative reviews and watching for patterns!
Just Sayin'
Gene
Gene

"Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
Thanks a bunch Kingwood!! I've read & watched a lot of reviews. The top rollers seem to want to fall out. A lot. Power wise it's up to par. Cut wise as well. CS seems to be a little bit on the sketchy side. Its a love/hate thing. The motors are also apparently a bit noisier than most & they seem to be of a cheaper variety.

I may just bite the bullet on that DW734 & have my BIL make a set or 2 of HSS knives about 1/8" wider than factory. Use better HSS & be able to sharpen them. The extra width won't cause a power loss problem since I never go beyond 1/16" on a cut. Might be a tad louder thru my ear muffs is all.

The gauge is just that. A gauge. If I'm looking for 3/4" I will set the work piece in the table saw miter groove that after micing I know it to be 3/4". I prefer 3/4" on the heavy side anyhow.

I consider myself a hobbyist. I build for myself & Friends & Family from time to time. I don't sell anything. Usually I make something nice for the person that made me a good deal on some wood they wanted to get rid of.

Thats all for now I think.
(01-24-2018, 07:46 PM)GlenS Wrote: I've been looking at this planer for a while now. It's nearly identical to my 25+ yr old Craftsman. Eerily similar to be honest. The blades are 1/8"T & are double sided & resharpenable just like the Craftsman. They index on springs the same way. The index jig is different but still the same basic design.

Any experience with one of these planers? Good bad or indifferent? I appreciate all feedback!! And it helps that they have financing!!

Thank You!! 

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-1-2-Planer/G0505

Glen

The VA bought me this one back 8 years ago and I love it. 

http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-Plane...rizzly.com

If you can swing just a little more you would be very happy with this one

http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-Heavy...rizzly.com

Or this one

http://www.grizzly.com/products/13-Bench...rizzly.com
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks Arlin!!

The G0832 would be an option to look at. I didn't see that one earlier. The G0815 would be sweet to have too but I'm just an advanced hobbyist one might say. I'm never in a hurry so I'm good with the lighter cuts. I will certainly look closer at both of those tho!!

The big one you show would be great but it's a little large for my shop. I think I could make it fit where the other one is now. I store the DC, miter saw, router table & planer on wheels against the garage door. I might have enough space to consider a cabinet style planer. I go back to work 1st of March so the spending spree has some time yet. I'll research the machines you brought forth.

Thank You for your input.
(01-26-2018, 04:15 PM)GlenS Wrote: Thanks a bunch Kingwood!! I've read & watched a lot of reviews. The top rollers seem to want to fall out. A lot. Power wise it's up to par. Cut wise as well. CS seems to be a little bit on the sketchy side. Its a love/hate thing. The motors are also apparently a bit noisier than most & they seem to be of a cheaper variety.

I may just bite the bullet on that DW734 & have my BIL make a set or 2 of HSS knives about 1/8" wider than factory. Use better HSS & be able to sharpen them. The extra width won't cause a power loss problem since I never go beyond 1/16" on a cut. Might be a tad louder thru my ear muffs is all.

The gauge is just that. A gauge. If I'm looking for 3/4" I will set the work piece in the table saw miter groove that after micing I know it to be 3/4". I prefer 3/4" on the heavy side anyhow.

I consider myself a hobbyist. I build for myself & Friends & Family from time to time. I don't sell anything. Usually I make something nice for the person that made me a good deal on some wood they wanted to get rid of.

Thats all for now I think.

If you go with the 734, just try out the included knives for a while and see how you like them. I'm a hobbyist, too, and I probably have only changed them once or twice (after using both edges) in the 8+ years I've had it. Plus, they're self setting. That's a HUGE time saver!
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
Thanks Kingwood. I will continue to look at planers for another month. It's a nice luxury to have ample time to make a $400+ decision.