Need idea for small diameter dowel pin making
(01-25-2018, 06:48 PM)AlanS Wrote: I like to accent my boxes with corner 'pins' rather than splines.   1/8" birch dowels are easy to buy, but smaller diameter is not available.  To date, I use a metal drill gauge guide (the metal plate with all the drill holes in it) and pound a sliver of the wood I like through the hole size I want.   Works ok, but wondering if anyone has tried to make small diameter pins?
You might try bamboo skewers...or possibly stainless steel rods..They also have silver wire and nickel silver wire in small sizes........................

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_...l+rods+1mm

Bronze wire...even better.......

https://www.amazon.com/Quality-Bronze-La...ronze+wire
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

At our Menards I seen 1/16" pins or dowels so you might want to check if you have one there.  Also if they do not have them in stock they will order them for you and no shipping charge.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Shrimp/Barbecue skewers? City chicken (meat) skewers?

(01-30-2018, 09:48 AM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Shrimp/Barbecue skewers?  City chicken (meat) skewers?
I thought he wanted fancy hardwoods.  You can still get Q-tips in longer lengths with wood pins.  But who knows what species of wood it is.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Guitar maker supply companies sell small diameter rod for inlay of marker dots on the edge of a guitar neck. Usually it's plastic but comes in different colors. Might even find abalone or mother of pearl.  Stewart MacDonald, Luthiers Mercantile, and even eBay should have stuff like this
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]