Filling holes in pecky oak
Here's the problem.  I'm working on a large dinning table made from pecky red oak.  The wood has hundreds of small bug holes throughout the surface (no bugs).  I like the look but the wife wants the holes to be filled.  She is worried about debris being caught in the open holes.  The holes are very dark, nearly black, so I'm thinking that I need a very dark filler of some kind.  The problem is I'm thinking that a dark filler would also fill the open grain of the oak producing a very dark surface that would be glass smooth.  I would rather have some grain.  I like a finish that is "in" the wood rather than being "on" the surface, if you know what I mean.

I suppose I could fill each individual hole with some dark wood filler but it may be next year before I finish filling all those holes.  I'm planning on using some kind of stain to go with my Craftsman style house, but filling those holes has me stumped. Anybody have any great ideas?

Thanks
George
I’ve used Parks white oak filler on white oak and it is a great match. You can skim coat the whole top before your last one to two sanding grits.

I'm not sure it's available anymore, but years ago I used a solvent based past wood grain filler on floors. It could be thinned and tinted with the addition of an oil based stain. it was brushed one, sort of squeegeed on to fill the gaps and grain. Then when partially dry, scrubbed off the surface, accross the grain, leaving the gaps filled.

I think that may work for you by letting it firm up good, then scrubbing with the grain. That should leave the holes filled but remove most of the filler from the grain pattern.

edit: Mohawk finishing still makes the solvent based filler. I should have also noted, this process for your situation would have to be done after some finish or seal coat is in place. That would prevent the filler from sticking in the grain.
(01-26-2018, 10:34 AM)George Wells Wrote: Here's the problem.  I'm working on a large dinning table made from pecky red oak.  The wood has hundreds of small bug holes throughout the surface (no bugs).  I like the look but the wife wants the holes to be filled.  She is worried about debris being caught in the open holes.  The holes are very dark, nearly black, so I'm thinking that I need a very dark filler of some kind...............

Hi George - there have been several recent threads on 'pecky oak' w/ posted pics - the holes were round and small; however, I've seen other images of this 'infest affected' wood w/ a different pattern - you might want to post a pic to give us some idea on how to fill the holes and produced a smooth finish - there are just so many choices for grain fillers w/ options such as coloring the filler?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(01-26-2018, 10:34 AM)George Wells Wrote: Here's the problem.  I'm working on a large dinning table made from pecky red oak.  The wood has hundreds of small bug holes throughout the surface (no bugs).  I like the look but the wife wants the holes to be filled.  She is worried about debris being caught in the open holes.  The holes are very dark, nearly black, so I'm thinking that I need a very dark filler of some kind.  The problem is I'm thinking that a dark filler would also fill the open grain of the oak producing a very dark surface that would be glass smooth.  I would rather have some grain.  I like a finish that is "in" the wood rather than being "on" the surface, if you know what I mean.

I suppose I could fill each individual hole with some dark wood filler but it may be next year before I finish filling all those holes.  I'm planning on using some kind of stain to go with my Craftsman style house, but filling those holes has me stumped. Anybody have any great ideas?

Thanks
George

Don't fill the holes until after the surface is sealed.  So if you want to stain it, stain it, then apply a sealer or at least one coat of your finish.  If no stain, then just sealer and/or finish.  After the pores are sealed you will be able to fill the holes w/o worry of the excess smearing into the adjacent wood and changing how it looks compared to the rest of the top.  I really like TimberMate wood filler for small holes.  It's water based, comes in many colors, and you can further custom mix them or even add water compatible dyes to it to adjust the color.  

John
Thanks everyone. The suggestion to stain and put on one coat of finish prior to filling the holes is probably the direction I will go. Still in the construction process. We'll see how it works out when I get this thing built.

Thanks
George
George
I built a dining table for my daughter a few years back with wormy chestnut, I filled the hundreds of holes with slow curing epoxy, one at a time, no colorant before the final sanding. I applied it using disposable glue injectors (the ones from West Marine worked best). In the larger holes I shoved a toothpick in and broke it off under the surface. It took a lot of time since after I thought filled some holes in the drying process the epoxy flowed well n to the wood and needed a second application. The holes looked black when finished and the project turned out well.
Gene
What about a sealer coat of shellac and then a lot of coats of your finish. Then sand the finish until it is smooth enough. The finish should fill the holes.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
if you got some epoxy resin you could color it black or another dark color and fill the holes. any that remained on the surface of the wood can be easily sanded off. you would need a squeegee or similar to get it into the holes. you can then stain the wood and put the finish coat over the whole thing.