#4 Record Marples Handplane . made in UK
Photo 
Found this plane at a Garage sale.  Didn't feel right to leave a good plane just a sitting there. I got no use for it so hoping someone can put her back to use.

Seems like a later model. Made in England. Seems very well made and would make a fantastic user. Feels rock solid in the hand.  And has the sole nicely relieved to allow for easy flattening. Blue Finish is all there and will take no time to fettle this into a great user.

Its missing a blade and shipbreaker. Tho any Stanley, Record, lie nielsen, Hock, or veritas replacements will work.

Asking $35 plus shipping from 95472 California.

Thanks for looking!

Joel

[Image: Egi3zz3l.jpg][Image: IsgAu4ol.jpg][Image: cX6kEVjl.jpg][Image: FKf0JFzl.jpg][Image: m2qok1jl.jpg][Image: 8iNKAICl.jpg][Image: orhK5Vml.jpg]
I've never seen a sole carved out like that. I've seen the ones with trenches machined/cast into the sole. Is this to reduce sliding resistance?
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
(01-26-2018, 06:16 PM)alanealane Wrote: I've never seen a sole carved out like that. I've seen the ones with trenches machined/cast into the sole. Is this to reduce sliding resistance?

Ya... I haven't seen many record planes in my travels but I havant seen one like this either.  Tho you my be right about reducing resistance .  Kinda like the grooved sole on the Stanleys? Will also make it easy to lap it flat..
(01-26-2018, 06:25 PM)Malix Wrote: Ya... I haven't seen many record planes in my travels but I havant seen one like this either.  Tho you my be right about reducing resistance .  Kinda like the grooved sole on the Stanleys? Will also make it easy to lap it flat..

I've not seen them like this from the factory, they did sell corregated sole planes, but in the traditional style.  Must be a user modification.  Might be a good idea; japanese planes have hollows in the soles intentionally.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-26-2018, 06:47 PM)Admiral Wrote: I've not seen them like this from the factory, they did sell corregated sole planes, but in the traditional style.  Must be a user modification.  Might be a good idea; japanese planes have hollows in the soles intentionally.

That plane isn't  worth fifty cents. Sorry.
(01-26-2018, 08:51 PM)David Katz Wrote: That plane isn't  worth fifty cents. Sorry.

Wow.  this may be my first direct run in with an internet troll.. .
If Davids statement is true them it makes me either a dishonest seller or an ignorant one. Neither of which is true IMHO
Smile
I own  both high quality  modern planes  and vintage ones. And  I have fettled enough vintage ones to know if a plane will make a good user. David is entitled to his trollish opinion. But I completely disagree with it.
I don't believe the relieving of the plane sole effects the usability of this plane in the least and may in the end provide some benefit with respect  to fettling the plane. YMMV.
Regardless no biggie either way. If someone buys the plane and finds it worth less than the purchase price I'll be happy to accept its return with full refund. Not trying to harsh anyones day here.. just get a solid user tool  to someone who will use it.
Now back to your regular sheduled programming.  (I will not be responding again to  the above post)

Joel
(01-26-2018, 09:44 PM)Malix Wrote:  
Wow.  this may be my first direct run in with an internet troll.. .
If Davids statement is true them it makes me either a dishonest seller or an ignorant one. Neither of which is true IMHO
Smile
I own  both high quality  modern planes  and vintage ones. And  I have fettled enough vintage ones to know if a plane will make a good user. David is entitled to his trollish opinion. But I completely disagree with it.
I don't believe the relieving of the plane sole effects the usability of this plane in the least and may in the end provide some benefit with respect  to fettling the plane. YMMV.
Regardless no biggie either way. If someone buys the plane and finds it worth less than the purchase price I'll be happy to accept its return with full refund. Not trying to harsh anyones day here.. just get a solid user tool  to someone who will use it.
Now back to your regular sheduled programming.  (I will not be responding again to  the above post)

Joel

You're not a dishonest seller. If you were dishonest you wouldn't have shown the sole of that butchered plane. I don't know what an "ignorant" seller is, but I'll take your word for it that you're an experienced plane user.

In any case, I'm sure I'm not alone in finding that plane an abomination. Whoever destroyed it did so crudely. It looks like he used a hand grinder. I cannot fathom why anyone would do this. Bailey-style planes have been around for 150 years, and they weren't meant to have their soles hacked out like that. 

I'm sorry you took offense at my remarks about the plane's worth, but they weren't personal. Destroying a hand-plane in such a crude way is, at least for me, an ugly sight to behold.
If I had access to a surface grinder I'd try to resurface it. Sounds like a good project for tablesawtom ...hint hint! 
Yes
Big Grin
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
(01-27-2018, 02:27 PM)alanealane Wrote: If I had access to a surface grinder I'd try to resurface it. Sounds like a good project for tablesawtom ...hint hint! 
Yes
Big Grin

Big question is how deep those gouges are. If they are too deep, a surface grinder might turn the plane into a banana when tensioned. The sole can only be thinned so much before it bends or breaks.
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
I'd stear clear of that plane and try and get one you won't have any regret's over.