Screws for plywood?
(01-28-2018, 12:36 PM)photobug Wrote: Are the 5x5 sheets of BB $65 or 4x8s?
Keep in mind pocket screws in their traditional use are always predrilled.  As long as the first board is predrilled it allows the two boards to be pulled tight.  You could avoid pre-drilling if you added clamps and cauls, but at that point you could skip the screws.

That price is for the 5x5, the 4x8 sheets are over $90. I've found 4 places in Denver that sells BB and they are all very similar in price. I use Consolidated Hardwood that happens to be a block away from where I work.

I always pre-drill the first board but after I switched to pocket screws, I let the tip do the drilling. My little comparison test showed that pre-drilling the second board helps.
Mats
(01-28-2018, 12:53 PM)Richard D. Wrote: If you are screwing into the edge of plywood without drilling a pilot hole, you are just splitting the ply to get the screw in. Drill a 1/8" pilot hole and use drywall screws, I have literally done this a thousand times at work for various temporary solutions. 

For cabinets, you would be better off figuring out your clamping procedure and do a practice clamp up before you get glue down and you are in a hurry.

I ended up pre-drilling all the holes and the glue-up worked great. In this case, gluing vertical dividers for drawers, both sides are hidden so screws are fine. I used to always use dry-wall screws with pre-drilling but the square drive plus the flat head of the pockets screws are very attractive so I switched. Do they offer dry-wall screws with star or square drive or do I have to go to the cabinet type of the spax screw? My HD only had one size of cabinet spax.

I've always had a hard time clamping large project like in this case with 70"x20" top and bottom and 2 ea 20"x25" dividers. I had made some glued up plywood guide blocks (3 layers of plywood) like they used on the Woodsmith Shop with cross dado cuts to hold panels both ways and was able to clamp them to the assembly table keeping the glue up perfectly square (at least one side).
Mats
(01-29-2018, 07:16 PM)woodmats Wrote: That price is for the 5x5, the 4x8 sheets are over $90. I've found 4 places in Denver that sells BB and they are all very similar in price. I use Consolidated Hardwood that happens to be a block away from where I work.

I always pre-drill the first board but after I switched to pocket screws, I let the tip do the drilling. My little comparison test showed that pre-drilling the second board helps.

That's outrageous.

You should try to set up either a line of credit or a cash account.  A cash account set you up as a buyer but you have to pay cash each time.  You will get closer to wholesale prices.  I paid $74.77 for a sheet of Baltic Birch and my shop is a long way from its nearest competitor, I figure with the right connection it would be even cheaper in Denver.
A carpenter's house is never done.
Assembly screws are what i use for plywood boxes . 
https://www.quickscrews.com/catalog/cabi...bly-screws
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. "HF"