looking for a good metal detector
Just picked up a couple hundred feet of "reclaimed" oak and removed the 10 pounds of nails left as proof it was "reclaimed"
Rolleyes

Now I want a metal detector that will alert me to any metal I missed.

I've been using a medium sized magnet but I'm afraid I'll miss something.

Anybody know of a good one?
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I've had a Lumber Wizard III for about 15 years, and it works great at finding bits of metal in lumber.  Still on the original battery.  The current model is Wizard 4...don't know what the difference is.  They also make a smaller and cheaper model, but I can't speak as to how well it works.
Bob
Lumber wizards are good. Garrett makes a good handheld unit for security scanning that is also good for scanning lumber. Garrett, Whites, Compass a and Tesoro all make good detectors. Make sure it has an all metal mode. If you find a used one with a prospecting coil, grab it. They excel at finding small particles. I would avoid Bounty Hunter, Brinkman and the lesser known mail order brands....
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
(01-27-2018, 02:08 AM)BobW Wrote: I've had a Lumber Wizard III for about 15 years, and it works great at finding bits of metal in lumber.  Still on the original battery.  The current model is Wizard 4...don't know what the difference is.  They also make a smaller and cheaper model, but I can't speak as to how well it works.

1+ for the above - I've own the Lumber Wizard III for a dozen years or so (the red one shown below - Review LINK) - have used just a half dozen times and worked well - as stated, there is a newer model.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
I had the Lumber Wizard 3 for a long time and it always worked well. Then one day it didn't work at all. Don't know what happened, but I'm still looking to replace it. I'm thinking I'll get a Garrett but there was a problem for a short time of counterfeit ones being sold on line as the real thing. If you choose that one, buy from a reputable source.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Lumber Wizard 4 Laser Line Metal Detector Wand With Free Little Wizard 2 for $150 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Lumber-Wizard-Las...+Wizard+IV

Looked like a deal to me
Cool
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
The best harbor freight purchase I've ever made.  Also used by security personnel at local entertainment venues.  It has found metal in boards that I had a hard time finding even after the detector found it.

[Image: Cen-Tech.gif]

Cen-Tech® - item#94138
My .02
Karl

I'm using the old Wizard II. No problems here for many many years.

25 bucks.
(01-27-2018, 02:08 AM)BobW Wrote: I've had a Lumber Wizard III for about 15 years, and it works great at finding bits of metal in lumber.  Still on the original battery.  The current model is Wizard 4...don't know what the difference is.  They also make a smaller and cheaper model, but I can't speak as to how well it works.

I have the Wizard III, I hadn't thought about it in years and went and turned it on and the thing still works! I got a whole truckload of cherry out of the RR Donnelly building in Chicago when they ripped out the old United Headquarters.  It was all great stuff, but it was crown molding and trim so there was lots of little nails.  It found almost everything.  I ended up trashing one side of a set of planer blades for the whole project which wasn't too bad.  Still have a bunch of that cherry too.