Do You Use Your Planing Stop?
(01-28-2018, 12:02 PM)bandit571 Wrote: I just use a few scraps.....IF I wanted a real stop, it would be about like this one..

Bad news is, I would have to buy this bench that comes with it..
No 

Don't have the room for it, nor the $225 + Tax to buy it...

Laugh
Laugh
(01-27-2018, 08:45 PM)AHill Wrote: I use bench dogs.  I don't even have a planing stop.

Same here.
Peter

My "day job"
(02-06-2018, 08:42 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Same here.

I just used bench dogs as well, usually clamping between two of them, until I had to make a loft railing that was 7'-8" long.  Then the dogs on my 7' bench were woefully lacking.  I had to pull one end of the bench out so that about a foot of the railing could extend past the bench.  My bench sits in a kind of little nook or niche, which makes it difficult to work around the ends.  This piece was secured with the crochet, leg vise, holdfast in the deadman, and a hand clamp.  Worked pretty good.  And that's a full-length shaving in the pic, that's always fun.

[Image: 25272686867_937f725925_c.jpg]

I have also used just a single bench dog as a stop on some of the bigger stuff, and that works pretty well most of the time.  The little stuff skitters around tho.  And now I have one of these to install.  This project has made me understand and appreciate the value of a planing stop.

[Image: 25272690377_951184da24_c.jpg]
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools