Do You Use Your Planing Stop?
Nicholson bench, so planing stop is a way of life.
I watched a commercial (custom) trim worker use CA glue for all of his shop work. I guess cost of time was cheaper than hosing the bench with glue and accelerator. 

Benches are rarely made long enough to handle fine wood work or trim. I have a ten or twelve foot long 4x6 I drop onto saw horses. The stop is a deck or sheet rock screw. If the piece is squirrely, just screw in some scrap blocks. I usually stop the opposite end of the work piece with another screw. 

The beam leans into the side of the garage. KD Doug fir is pretty stable after the initial twist so nine months of rain just attracts moss.
I have used a planing stop for over forty years. Here is a fellow planing in Roubo.

[Image: Plate+11_close.jpg]
I very rarely plane cross grain, but when I do I put the board across the bench and plane against the same stop, as mentioned in Moxon and Nicholson.

For chamfering square stock or making an octagon, we use little blocks with v cutouts which lie one the bench and cradle the wood while we plane the corners. Everything is loose on the bench.
Thanks for the ideas, hbmcc and wmickley.  Interesting that the Roubo picture doesn't show any hold downs other than the planing stop.  That just doesn't work for me.  Likely those guys are much more skilled, also I don't have a steel toothed planing stop.

But this little foray into this topic has convinced me that I need to take advantage of the planing stop more often.  So I've ordered one of the Benchcrafted Planing Stops.  They advise placing it 2-3/4" from the front edge of the bench, on a block of wood 2-1/2" square and about 10" long.

My current planing stop is about 2" square, and unfortunately it is about 5" from the front edge.  I'll enlarge the hole, towards the front of the bench.  Then it will be about 4-1/2" from the front edge.  After using my current stop a few times, I can see the advantage of having it closer to the front edge.  I may also put a "Bibliophile-style" stop on the end of the bench, that sounds pretty useful.

[Image: 39324033174_aab23d89f4_c.jpg]
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
Bibliophile's end-of-bench planing stop is a very useful example. I installed one like it but with some of the shortcomings that he's described and overcome with his design. The main disadvantage of such a planing stop, I've found, is that it gets in the way if I try to cross-cut off the end of the bench.
 I also have a spring-loaded toothed planing stop from Lee Valley that is mortised into the top of the bench. It was inexpensive and is very handy.
(02-02-2018, 12:57 PM)overland Wrote: Biblophile's end-of-bench planing stop is a very useful example. I installed one like it but with some of the shortcomings that he's described and overcome with his design. The main disadvantage of such a planing stop, I've found, is that it gets in the way if I try to cross-cut off the end of the bench.

That's what a sawbench is for.
Wink
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I have a pop up planing stop and use it enough that I would never be without one.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
Make your own planing stop. This took about 30 minutes to make and install ...

[Image: image.jpg]

It looks like an ordinary dog hole. 1" wide in O1 steel. Filed 8 ppi. Sharp like a saw.

Used with a Doe's Foot  ...

.. or tail vise ...

The extra grip over a bench dog is amazing! It grips so well that it is just as stable off centre ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Last year, I did something I've been meaning to do for years: cut a piece of high-grade plywood as long as the depth of my bench and as wide as its thickness; cut two slots across its width; drove some 1/4" hanger bolts into the end of the bench where they'd fit through the slots; hung the plywood on the hanger bolts, held it firm with washers and knurled nuts on the hanger bolts.  It raises up above bench height or drops down level.  It's pretty well replaced the bench dogs as a planing stop.  Same principle as this one, but with much less fancy:

[Image: IUMCq.png]

It's always easy to find, and accepts any width/thickness of board I've tried so far.
K.

I.

S.

S.

And yes, that was a Stanley No. 6c, Type 10 at work, along with a Millers Falls No.14, type 2

Nuttin Phancy
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that