basement window windowsill -- what material?
I was thinking that mdf faced plywood would be ideal, but I don't think you can easily get that.  Maybe mdf with a hardwood edge.  Any other suggestions?  The distance from the window to the edge of the drywall is 6"
(01-27-2018, 04:07 PM)EricU Wrote: I was thinking that mdf faced plywood would be ideal, but I don't think you can easily get that.  Maybe mdf with a hardwood edge.  Any other suggestions?  The distance from the window to the edge of the drywall is 6"

Is there danger of the windows sweating ? If so I would not use mdf.    If you have a Menards near by they stock mdo plywood which may serve your purpose as it sounds like you want a smooth surface.  Roly
Why not poplar?
Use Azek. Workable with woodworking tools and can be painted.
Why not Azek?
(01-27-2018, 06:54 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Why not Azek?
I used Azek or generic equivalent 5+years ago and I have no issues with it.  I would use it again if a situation arose.  It's the first thing that I would recommend.  Don't have a second.
(01-27-2018, 09:09 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I used Azek or generic equivalent 5+years ago and I have no issues with it.  I would use it again if a situation arose.  It's the first thing that I would recommend.  Don't have a second.

You (and Mac) are right, it is really ideal for a basement.
I was looking at the Azek product line, is the suggestion just to use a deck board?  I don't see any flat pieces in their trim or molding lines
They have flat boards in it also there is sheets of it.
(01-28-2018, 10:20 AM)EricU Wrote: I was looking at the Azek product line, is the suggestion just to use a deck board?  I don't see any flat pieces in their trim or molding lines

It's at Depot or Lowes in the lumber section. There's usually Azek and a cheaper alternative. Easy (albeit messy) to rout. Prime before painting. It's ideal for this. I use it quite a bit, indoors and out where I would have used primed trim boards in the past.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay