Segmented Turning Press
I’ve been wanting to do some segmented turning, so today decided to build a press for gluing up rings. It was a nice quick project, but now I have no more excuses.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice work. You'll have to show us your first project from using it.
Just thinking here....  If glue ran down the outside and onto the wood would it made the whole thing stick to the board unless you put plastic down or something?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I use a piece of melamine on the bottom of mine. The glue will pop right off.
The piece on the bottom is melamine covered shelving and I also waxed it to avoid sticking. We shall see.
(01-28-2018, 01:39 PM)njcredding Wrote: The piece on the bottom is melamine covered shelving and I also waxed it to avoid sticking.  We shall see.

I have a 5'x5' piece of Melamine so I will make one for later usage.
Yes   Problem is where to store all the jigs and stuff like this in a small shop?  I still want to make a donut chuck for finish turning as well.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-28-2018, 04:38 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I have a 5'x5' piece of Melamine so I will make one for later usage.
Yes   Problem is where to store all the jigs and stuff like this in a small shop?  I still want to make a donut chuck for finish turning as well.

Raid the kitchen and take you wifes wax paper, thats what I use.
(01-28-2018, 04:38 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I have a 5'x5' piece of Melamine so I will make one for later usage.
Arlin I made mine so it comes apart before moving to my current location I had my shop in my basement and space was tight. I used two steal polls w/ hing pins to hold them in place and a jack stand screw for the press here's a few photos.

Attached Files Image(s)

You can used a bottle jack too

Attached Files Image(s)

(01-30-2018, 06:11 PM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: You can used a bottle jack too

I prefer the jack method because it puts no rotational force on the glue up. I ended up going with a bearing press because of the size of some of my turnings.