Replacing shower
I took out a tile shower in my bathroom, all the way to the studs and concrete foundation,  because of a leak in the shower pan.  I think I want to replace everything, base and walls, with solid surface material ... probably Corian.  Anybody done this ... good or bad idea?  Is Corian better than acrylic?
Thanks
Don
Corian is acrylic only thicker
(01-28-2018, 05:14 PM)dgman Wrote: I took out a tile shower in my bathroom, all the way to the studs and concrete foundation,  because of a leak in the shower pan.  I think I want to replace everything, base and walls, with solid surface material ... probably Corian.  Anybody done this ... good or bad idea?  Is Corian better than acrylic?
Thanks
Don
If you want an absolutely lifetime durability in a shower base, then porcelain over cast iron.  It is very popular in Europe, Australia and New Zealand.  But not so popular in the USA.  Expect to spend about $500.00 to $700.00 for a shower base.  Lowes sells them, but special order always.  Or Google :cast iron shower base

It is also very solid underfoot.  But get a helper to carry it into the house.  Of course your outlet has to be located properly.  No adjustment is possible.

Kohler sells cast iron, acrylic and solid surface types.  They all come in various colors:  https://www.us.kohler.com/us/browse/bath...s/_/N-2d8r
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-29-2018, 08:44 AM)Cooler Wrote: Kohler sells cast iron, acrylic and solid surface types.  They all come in various colors:  https://www.us.kohler.com/us/browse/bath...s/_/N-2d8r

Kohler also has Sterling. I like their (I think it's called) Vicor bases and enclosures. they're solid, easy to install, and they don't leak. I've spoken to them about setting them in mud and they said theirs  is the strongest in the industry, and it's not required. I still weigh down the tub or shower with water or buckets of mud and spray foam under it; feels pretty solid. You also have the option of solid shower bases. They're a little heavier than cast, but the flashing is usually copper sheet, so you don't have to mess around with nail flanges when you put up Wonderboard.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(01-29-2018, 10:42 AM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Kohler also has Sterling. I like their (I think it's called) Vicor bases and enclosures. they're solid, easy to install, and they don't leak. I've spoken to them about setting them in mud and they said theirs  is the strongest in the industry, and it's not required. I still weigh down the tub or shower with water or buckets of mud and spray foam under it; feels pretty solid. You also have the option of solid shower bases. They're a little heavier than cast, but the flashing is usually copper sheet, so you don't have to mess around with nail flanges when you put up Wonderboard.

My shower has a terrazzo base.  I am seeing hairline fractures lately (the house was built in 1953).  I will replace it with a cast iron base.  The shower is too small for a resale.  I cannot imagine a wife shaving her legs in a 30" x 30" shower.  I am planning on a 30" x 60" to replace.  Probably some time next year.

There are companies still offering terrazzo bases.  If 64 years is long enough life, then I recommend it. (But I still will go with a cast iron unit).  The terrazzo is fairly slip resistant-- a serious advantage.  I've never felt it was a slipping hazard.
You can get one from Schluter or mud one up yourself and use the Schluter system to  waterproof it.
(01-29-2018, 01:37 PM)todayIlearned Wrote: You can get one from Schluter or mud one up yourself and use the Schluter system to  waterproof it.

US Gypsum also makes a kit and foam wallboards that are easier to cut than cement board.  USG has been around a long, long time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J9JJ0P4/ref...8926338635
+1 on Schluter. I'd do Schluter Kerdi over a mud base. You get to choose your shower size instead of conforming to the dimensions of a precast product.

Regarding solid surface walls: Not done them, but I'd assume that you will have difficulty seaming the edges and corners. Also, they are freakin' heavy to work with. You still require water protection behind them as the seams in any material are not waterproof. Never have been, never will be.

If I could, I'd use a granite veneer sheet over kerdi board. But its not quite ready for primetime.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
You could always consider a plastic/fiberglass pan and re-tile the walls. It's probably the easiest way to install a shower and a ton cheaper than marble walls. Not sure Corian would look very good. Not sure how you could get Corian to slope towards the drain either. I wouldn't re-invent the wheel and wind up with a costly problem... like a shower that doesn't drain. You might have to do a little framing and sheetrock work to make it fit a pre-made pan but framing isn't that difficult. You could also wrap the tile around the face of the shower to hide new sheetrock work if you aren't comfortable doing sheetrock.

I did that in my shower and the wife likes the look. She likes it, I like it. 

This is a mud pan but I still did a good bit of framing. The right wall wasn't there when I started. It's got a mud (concrete) pan.

[Image: eXKtXfQ.jpg]

[Image: 1wtxq0O.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

snipe, how much were the "Marriott" shower doors if you don't mind sharing?
I've liked them since they started using them
no permiti el bicho morderte