Looking for two logs
I have a project that needs two logs of this size

12" high and 9" round

I would like to get Maple and Cherry in those sizes please.  If you would like to trade for some Black Walnut of the same I will.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Hi Arlin,

Will you be cutting these logs down further?
If so, what size/quantity blanks do you need?
Arlin, does it need to be cherry or maple? I have a whole tree of spalted oak logs that I can cut to that size. at that size they won't fit in flat rate boxes, so shipping would be expensive. if they can be cut down to fit flat rate, I can do that.
They would have to be whole and spalted Oak would be most wonderful.

I need it whole since I have to square the ends and I have to exactly measure them in 3 equal sections.  I will them make candle sticks out of them but if they are not correct they will not come out right.

Also any spalted wood would be a great contrast.

If and I mean IF someone would like some of the roses I make out of wood in exchange for shipping.  I sold them last May for Mothers day if anyone remembers and they take me an hour to make each one and they do look like roses.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Arlin, what are the dimensions of the finished piece? Can the log be cut into blanks before I ship it? Again, if we can fit them into flat rate boxes it will cut the cost considerably. I know, I've shipped birch home to myself while on vacation and prepping the logs beforehand saved me about 40.00 in shipping.
(01-30-2018, 09:15 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Arlin, what are the dimensions of the finished piece?   Can the log be cut into blanks before I ship it?  Again, if we can fit them into flat rate boxes it will cut the cost considerably.  I know, I've shipped birch home to myself while on vacation and prepping the logs beforehand saved  me about 40.00 in shipping.

It is from a CD I got from Tobias Kaye several years ago and could only be downloaded on my computer to watch it and that is why I bought 3 copies but sadly I loaned out the other two and never got them back so others could download it as well.

What he does first is put it on the lathe and gets both ends flat then finds the exact center (Within a 1/16),  he then does the flower pattern on top which finds 3 equal sections on top and bottom.  He then finds the center of the three and drills a 7/8" hole to accept a metal candle holder and then cuts all three apart.  If it is not done in that order they will not come out right.

After writing all of that I am wondering if I could email the video to someone so you can see if.

If you guys send me your email I will try and see if it works and then you will see what I am talking about.

If it works I will send it out to anyone else who asks.

Hah I just found the video on Youtube but it does not have ALL of his spindle turnings on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGHZyku9sH4

Personally I believe he is the VERY best I have seen on how to use turning tools. """REALLY"""

Here is the YouTube link...
Pretty cool project.

Watch "Making 3 candlesticks Tutorial - Tobias Kaye HD" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/lGHZyku9sH4
(01-31-2018, 03:07 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: It is from a CD I got from Tobias Kaye several years ago and could only be downloaded on my computer to watch it and that is why I bought 3 copies but sadly I loaned out the other two and never got them back so others could download it as well.

What he does first is put it on the lathe and gets both ends flat then finds the exact center (Within a 1/16),  he then does the flower pattern on top which finds 3 equal sections on top and bottom.  He then finds the center of the three and drills a 7/8" hole to accept a metal candle holder and then cuts all three apart.  If it is not done in that order they will not come out right.

After writing all of that I am wondering if I could email the video to someone so you can see if.

If you guys send me your email I will try and see if it works and then you will see what I am talking about.

If it works I will send it out to anyone else who asks.

Hah I just found the video on Youtube but it does not have ALL of his spindle turnings on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGHZyku9sH4

Personally I believe he is the VERY best I have seen on how to use turning tools.  """REALLY"""

Hi Arlin,

That is an excellent project. Thank you for bringing it to my/our attention.
(01-31-2018, 06:14 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: Hi Arlin,

That is an excellent project. Thank you for bringing it to my/our attention.

Yeh I really think he is an outstanding teacher for using the tools.  He has other Youtube links now I see and I encourage everyone to not only watch them but pay attention to how he uses the tools.

Also there are 5 of us wanting to do this project and one will be made from walnut another from Red Ceder and will see what I get for the other projects.

(01-31-2018, 08:14 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Yeh I really think he is an outstanding teacher for using the tools.  He has other Youtube links now I see and I encourage everyone to not only watch them but pay attention to how he uses the tools.

Also there are 5 of us wanting to do this project and one will be made from walnut another from Red Ceder and will see what I get for the other projects.

Yes, I agree he is a good teacher... and a pleasant voice as well.
I found these brass candlestick liners on line, perhaps you'd be interested.

Here ... 7/8 Inch Brass Liner