Saw till
So it begins in the cold, very cold shop which I heat using a one hundred year old kerosene heater purchased from a flea market and gently restored.  I had to trip out to the fuel storage area and drag up a five gallon canister of kerosene because the heater was empty.  I lit the wick and left it in the shop for a half hour.  From 32* up to a sweltering 65* in that short time wasn't too bad.

[Image: vbtfzR4.jpg?1]

Probably that cold in the shop because of the doors.

[Image: EIkejQz.jpg?2]

So, what is in store for this morning?  Well could it be the saw till that I've been dreading for quite a while?  Sure.  But why do I need a saw till?  Because the one I have is overloaded.  Time for more room so the saws won't be so cozy.

[Image: 7Sd1rCG.jpg?2]

Yea, I know that is a lot of saws, yet that is not all of them.  Below this pic is a couple laying on the bench and behind me are six more waiting restoration.  Pretty obvious I am saw poor, but I'm working on that lack of perfection in my shop.  Too bad I've spent way to much time procrastinating on this project. 

It is not going to be a world class saw till.  Just something very simple and easy to slap together.  So first things first.  What wood to use?  Red oak, of coarse.  I've got bunches of it.  On top of cabinets and underneath benches.  All over eight feet long and between 8" - 12"   5/4 red oak.  Hopefully I'll have enough.

[Image: RZubKvd.jpg?2]

[Image: FsbFmRS.jpg?3]
No time like the present to get started.
With so many hand saw choices, how do you decide which saw gets to do the cutting.

And from the looks of it, the hand planes are going to be jealous of the hand saws new digs
Smile
Making one of these myself in the near future.  I came across a carpenter's box that holds 6 saws but it was full when I found it
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Are you a collector.  Because I don't see how anyone could possibly use that many handsaws?
(01-30-2018, 03:31 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: Are you a collector.  Because I don't see how anyone could possibly use that many handsaws?

Naw, I just like to buy saws and revive them.  Sure it might cost me a few bucks but at least I know I'll get that money back if I decide to get rid of them.  I've only come across two saws which were collectable.  One was a Disston D-115 my wife found in a thrift store for five bucks and the other one came out very nice after the rehab and I gave it to a Youtuber who is building a barn.  I figured it would be a great addition to his barn once it was built.  Check out The Tradesman Channel on YouTube if you want to see his barn build.
(01-30-2018, 04:22 PM)Tynyyn Wrote: Naw, I just like to buy saws and revive them.  Sure it might cost me a few bucks but at least I know I'll get that money back if I decide to get rid of them.  I've only come across two saws which were collectable.  One was a Disston D-115 my wife found in a thrift store for five bucks and the other one came out very nice after the rehab and I gave it to a Youtuber who is building a barn.  I figured it would be a great addition to his barn once it was built.  Check out The Tradesman Channel on YouTube if you want to see his barn build.

Just because only two of your saw's are collectable, does not mean you are not a collector.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(01-29-2018, 07:44 PM)Tynyyn Wrote:  Because the one I have is overloaded. 

[Image: 7Sd1rCG.jpg?2]

Yea it's sagging a bit there.
Laugh
Prop it up with one of those walnut boards, and crank on!!!
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

On to the dimensional lumber.  

[Image: ZF2mZFD.jpg?1]

[Image: sEs5Uhm.jpg?1]

[Image: t2Ci5Vt.jpg?1]

5/4 is too big for the sides.  Going to have to think about that.