Dad's chisels
These were my father's Stanley Handyman chisels, he died a few years ago 

Many years ago, my mother bought him this set of chisels one at a time as she could afford them over the course of a year.
She gave them to dad for Christmas .

Dad was a great man but he was  not a woodworker 
Over the years they were used for who knows what all besides woodworking , including opening cans of paint but he never lost any.

I found them scattered in various drawers and tool boxes.
They have been rescued and properly sharpened for the first time ever.

They are now my bench chisels.
Not the fanciest ones out there but priceless to me 
Yes

I made  a chisel holder from quartersawn white oak to hold the set of chisels.
Keeps them close at hand and protects them.
Dad taught me a lot over the years but I will teach him how to properly  care for and use his  bench chisels  
Smirk

Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
I think you did  a nice job with the chisel holder,  I think your Dad would be very proud.
I'm cleaning out my fathers place after he passed this summer and trying to unravel 74 years of collecting, gems like your fathers chisels are the holy grail that I'm sifting through.
I, like you want to make dad proud to use the very tools he used. I know your dad is smiling down on you.
Hi, Greg.  Good to hear from you.  I'm curious about the one chisel that looks almost unused.  Did it fall into some hiding place for all those years?
(01-30-2018, 08:42 PM)Mike Brady Wrote:   I'm curious about the one chisel that looks almost unused.  Did it fall into some hiding place for all those years?

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Great story and heirlooms. 
Yes
(01-30-2018, 11:55 PM)Cian Wrote: Great story and heirlooms. 
Yes

Yup.

Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(01-30-2018, 08:42 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Hi, Greg.  Good to hear from you.  I'm curious about the one chisel that looks almost unused.  Did it fall into some hiding place for all those years?

Hey Mike,

Some years ago, I had posted about trying to locate the full set of chisels but could not find the last one.
A generous Woodnetter graciously filled the gap with that chisel.

Ironically, The missing chisel was actually found a few months ago deep in a weird hiding place.
Unfortunately, it had been broken back nearly an inch.

I have yet to try to make it usable once again.

So I do have them all but that one for now is the user.
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
Awesome job on the holder and the chisel rehab!

Cool
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
(01-31-2018, 09:12 AM)Blacky Wrote: Awesome job on the holder and the chisel rehab!

Cool

You're super lucky to have those.  Thanks for sharing.