Replacing kitchen cabinets
I am redoing a kitchen now that was built in 2007.  The cabinets are falling apart - not IKEA - just your normal contractor grade from a big box.  MDF all over the place.  IKEA is built with MDF.  They won't hold up to a lot of use.  If it's just you and the wife then they may last. 

Some of the big box cabinets are pretty good but then $$$.  Brother and I did the next to top of line from Menard's - really were well built boxes - all plywood box - no MDF any were.  Soft close doors and drawers.  Not cheap though.

If you want the big boxes also have unfinished boxes that are all ply and solid.  They have some in stock but you can order different styles.  Then you can do your own finishing - saving some money.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(02-05-2018, 07:31 PM)John Mihich Wrote: I am redoing a kitchen now that was built in 2007.  The cabinets are falling apart - not IKEA - just your normal contractor grade from a big box.  MDF all over the place.  IKEA is built with MDF.  They won't hold up to a lot of use.  If it's just you and the wife then they may last. 

Some of the big box cabinets are pretty good but then $$$.  Brother and I did the next to top of line from Menard's - really were well built boxes - all plywood box - no MDF any were.  Soft close doors and drawers.  Not cheap though.

If you want the big boxes also have unfinished boxes that are all ply and solid.  They have some in stock but you can order different styles.  Then you can do your own finishing - saving some money.

The ikea boxes are 5/8 or 3/4 particle board. The cabs at the borgs are under 1/4" pb and very low quality pb not to mention not complete boxes either. The ikea stuff uses all Blum harware and I think all the current cabs have soft close everything standard now instead of using the Blum add on pieces.
      We did my friends sons house with their cabs 10 years ago and after abuse from 3 kids they all still look and work like new. We used their door front as well. Their fronts are much better now than they were then too with many more pre finished wood choices vs the bargain fronts.

There are a bunch of RTA cabs that use plywood but be careful as there are allot of them coming from China and the plywood is horrible. The easy way to spot them is that they use metal clips for a snap together assembly. 

I have built a few kitchens and would never buy unfinished cabs the factory finish is the reason I would be buying pre made cabs. The finish and clear coat is the hardest part of building cabs and their top coats are much more durable. I used automotive clear coat on ours and it's been way better than even two part lacquer.
(02-01-2018, 08:45 AM)Cub_Cadet_GT Wrote: I just redid all 3 of our bathrooms with these RTA cabinets. They were very high quality and price was very reasonable. All face frames and drawers are solid wood, all hardware is soft close and assembly was easy. Shipping was quick and customer service was great. We had one box get damaged and they shipped out replacement parts 2 day air. 

We went with the Signature Brownstone line.

https://www.stockcabinetexpress.com

Those prices look very reasonable
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(02-07-2018, 06:58 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Those prices look very reasonable

I thought so as well, we have been very pleased with them. They are all solid plywood with no particle board.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent