Cross-cut sled vs mitre saw
I use the “Norm” cross cut sled which is basically a piece of MDF with a runner for the right miter slot. I only have the fence at the top and not the bottom so I’m not restricted to the width of the sled. Make it a hair longer so when you run it through the saw the first time it squares up the sled.

I have a RAS dedicated to cross cutting but it’s only good for up to 12 inches. I can go much wider with the sled.
Don
I use the discontinued Dewalt DW712 slider. I think it’s a 8.25” blade. I have added a high tooth full kerf or near full thickness high tooth Forrest blade to it. It cuts very accurate and very clean with no blade deflection that can occur on the 12” blades or thin kerf blades. I use it for every crosscut that’s 12” or less. I like that I can lower the blade to a scribed line to know where I’m going to cut before hand. It’s quick and easy. I use a tracksaw for longer cuts that aren’t safe of the TS. I don’t have a sled but I’ve always said I’d build one someday. I guess I haven’t really needed it yet.

Before buying the smaller Dewalt I was struggling with blade deflection on a 12” DW 705 non-slider. It was very frustrating trying to get super accurate cuts with that chop saw. If I were building a sunburst or something similar I would most likely build and use a sled.