Cross-cut sled vs mitre saw
I built my miter saw station similar to Giradman's.  Right now it is too buy to actually show you a photo, I am embarrassed at it's current state of clutter.  But will try to describe it to you and my goals in its design.  Mine takes up most of one wall of my garage with the miter saw in the center with about 4' of bench on either side.  The saw is in a lower shelf in the center.  My original plan was to be able to use the lower shelf as an interchangable system.  The miter saw could be removed and replaced with my 12" bench planer.  That way the wings of the miter station would act as an infeed and outfeed for the bench planer giving the stock more support and reducing snipe.

I have since built a fliptop table to hold the thickness planer and just permanently mounted the mitersaw and added a permanent squared fence and miter saw stop to one of the wings.  The one suggestion I have for this unless you are very limited in space, don't shoehorn in your miter station design, give yourself some wiggle room.  You can always add a layer of wood below to raise the miter to the level needed and infill the space around the saw, but if you make the lower shelf too small you will close off other options for this shelf.
A carpenter's house is never done.
I found a photo I took a while back of my saw, that gives you a look at what I did.  If I can straighten up later today I will get a photo of the whole setup.

Attached Files Image(s)

My crosscut sled is 26" deep and is as wide as the saws top.  This allows it to crosscut 24" wide plywood into cabinet carcasses on top of crosscutting long and wide boards.   My miter saw is for crosscutting boards under 10" or so.

They compliment each other perfectly.

So... I prefer a LARGE sled and a mitersaw.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I am very limited on space and I do not have a wall to dedicate to such a bench. I have seen a number of videos on YouTube for these kinds of set ups and I am envious, to be sure.

There's a guy on YouTube that made a mobile cart for his mitre saw but also made the shelf for the saw interchangeable. He has an insert for a router and something else that I can't recall. I also can't seem to find the video either.

I plan on making my mitre saw stand as "flexible" as possible. I expect I'll buy a new saw next year or the year after, depending on funds, so I'm not in any big hurry to make the stand too fancy and locked in to one design. I just need something to replace the old table saw when it is put out to pasture, i.e. the bulky item pickup (where someone will see it and take it before the city comes by).
Hi again Hobbywood - just google 'portable miter saw station' - a number of commercials ones are available, such as the first pic below (LINK), or home-made ones on wheels or attached to a wall - in the second pic, I added 'Woodsmith' since I have a number of their DVDs and have watched them make one or several miter stations.  On YouTube, just google 'miter saw station' for plenty of hits.  Good luck!  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
(02-01-2018, 12:44 PM)Hobbywood Wrote: I am very limited on space and I do not have a wall to dedicate to such a bench.

You must be one of type of person that likes to park your car in the garage?

If you live in a temperate climate, you can also create a setup to go outside, when the weather allows.  That is what I did until I lived in an extremely cold climate.

If both space and funds are limited I would suggest holding off on a good miter saw.  I had one in storage at my home but since I did not live in my home, until this year, I used a $40 Craigslist miter saw for the last decade, which served me well.  The blade was worth more than the saw.  I think your money would be better spent on a good table saw and building a cross cut sled.
(01-31-2018, 11:42 AM)Papa Jim Wrote: To me they serve entirely different purposes. I probably use my CMS more than any tool in the shop. 

Well said.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

People have been making miter jigs for radial arm saws for decades.  A smaller version would work fine for a chop saw.  You would leave the saw at the 90 degree fixed setting.  

You will lose some capacity because the base would have to be at least 1/4" thick.  But that is all.  You cut the left miter on the left side of the blade and the right miter on the right side of the blade.  They are complimentary angles so they will always add up to 90 degrees, but make it as accurate as you can.

Here is a RAS jig.  You will have to down size for the miter saw, but it will be as accurate as a sled if you build the jig accurately.

[Image: 01602-main.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I used to make a lot of picture frames. And did trim work in houses for 5 years or so. And built decks. I had enough tools for house building/remodeling to fill a 5' by 10' covered trailer.

I have a DeWalt 12" compound miter saw that has had bearings replace from use. I have a Freud Ultra fine finish saw blade for that saw. I have a 10" portable Porter Cable job site table saw, with the same blade(in 10" of course). I have a Rigid TS2424 10" contractor saw in my wood shop, with two different Freud fine finish blades, one chrome and the other red coated. Just for grins and giggles, I also have a Mag77 Skilsaw and two different size speed squares which I have used to make miter cuts.

I've tried all three machines to make fine angle cuts suitable for frames. I usually make the stock for the frames using a router table and the flat out scariest tool I have ever used--a Craftsman molding head cutter(with 8 different inserts) made to mount in a table saw.

I built several TS sleds, all were unwieldy. I finally bought an Incra V-27 miter gauge and put a 24" oak extension, 3" high and 3/4" thick on it.

That is now all I use---bought a second miter gauge for the PC saw---for miter cuts. The DeWalt was too big to use safely for small/short cuts and sometimes made stepped cuts on wide/thick stock unless clamped very securely(took way too long). Was the best tool for decking by far.

I can make the same precise cuts on either table saw with the Incra's and the Freud blades. I have regularly made miter trimmer quality joints with my equipment. There is a difference in the surfaces cut on a TS and the miter trimmer. The TS does have a tendency to polish/burn a cut. The miter trimmer makes fresh surface cuts that glue more securely.
(02-01-2018, 08:40 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote:  [...] The miter trimmer makes fresh surface cuts that glue more securely.

I've been using a Lion Miter trimmer for 30 + years.  It leaves a glass-smooth finish.  I've always wondered if that improves the glue strength or reduces it.

I've use "Corner Weld" glue since it first came out.  It is specially formulated for end grain to end grain glue-ups.  When It came out I made two test miters and the Corner Weld glue was significantly stronger.  That was tested by "feel" and I didn't come up with any empirical results.  

I don't know how it compares with the latest wood working glues however.  

http://online-framing-supplies.com/shop/...-glue.html
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.