Fried a battery charger. Fixable?
We just moved overseas where the power is 230V/50Hz.  I plugged my Makita charger (rated 120-240V/50-60Hz) into an adapter and then into the wall and there was a spark and then I heard a pop from the charger.

All of my smaller chargers like cell phone and laptops have been fine with the adapters and the only thing I can think that would have caused this is that this Makita charger has a polarized plug but the adapter can accept the plug in either orientation.  I plugged it into the adapter in the same orientation as I would expect it to be in the States, with the wider plug on the left.  Maybe it should have been oriented 180deg.

Anyway, now the charger won't turn on.  As you can see there is charring where the power cord enters the unit but I don't see damage anywhere else.  There is a clear glass fuse which seems intact and a ceramic fuse that also appears to be OK but I don't really know.  I'd like to fix this, if possible.  My soldering skills are so-so.

I have a Bosch charger that quit working a few weeks ago. Mine, it it is the fuse. Get out your multimeter and test resistance across the fuses.
Overseas is a learning experience.

The adapters do not change the voltage from their wall outlet they only convert the plug from  european to the US standard.  Your computers, phones and similar items will have an acceptable voltage range from 110 to 250 and will adjust to the right output on their own.

If this is a semi permanent move you will need to get a transformer to convert down to 110 volts @ 60 cycles.  

I found out in a similar fashion to you, I plugged in an outlet strip called the Traveller.  It had us standard plugs and USB charging ports.  Oh yes it did not convert the voltage from 240 to 110.  Luckily the strip was the only thing that I smoked
Smile
-------------------------
I married my wife for her looks, just not the ones she has been giving me lately
For $30.00 for a new one, it probably does not pay to fix it.

https://www.ebay.com/i/222760621358?rt=nc
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-31-2018, 02:46 PM)Cooler Wrote: For $30.00 for a new one, it probably does not pay to fix it.

https://www.ebay.com/i/222760621358?rt=nc

Online the instruction manual for that model lists the input voltage as 120v ac, 50-60 hz.   Does not list 240 or 250v. which was the problem.   If the fuse is good by testing then I would also suggest replacing the unit.   You don't want to ruin the batteries if it caused another item to fail.    Probably a thyrister that burnt up with the overvoltage.    Roly
(01-31-2018, 03:18 PM)Roly Wrote: Online the instruction manual for that model lists the input voltage as 120v ac, 50-60 hz.   Does not list 240 or 250v. which was the problem.   If the fuse is good by testing then I would also suggest replacing the unit.   You don't want to ruin the batteries if it caused another item to fail.    Probably a thyrister that burnt up with the overvoltage.    Roly

I burned a very expensive studio strobe by plugging it into a wall outlet that had a dimmer switch and it was not on full power.  So over powering can cause damage and  under powering can too.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I spent a couple years, overseas.
Before I left, I investigated modifying my Makita charger-same model. There are component differences, more than what I really had time to deal with. I picked up a used charger, off Ebay, used it while I was there, and sold it again, on Ebay, right before I left.
That would be my suggestion.
That, or get one of these:

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/DC18SE

charge tools in your vehicle. You could bring it home, and use it when/if you come back to US.

Good luck.
I have been over seas and had the same Makita charger. I blew the circuit in the building doing that. Also melted the charger. I have a transformer that I use when going over seas to plug in my charger and it seems to work great. Its called the SF-500 from Seven Star. 500 Watt max. https://www.amazon.com/Seven-Star-SF500-...B001TPZ294

I have used this when traveling to Australia and New Zealand with no issues and can charge my batteries. Hope this helps.
(01-31-2018, 03:18 PM)Roly Wrote:    Probably a thyrister that burnt up with the overvoltage.    Roly

Explain please.
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

seems weird that a design that takes international voltages would be polarized.  Pretty sure most 220v outlets overseas are not polarized.  And there doesn't have to be a difference between line and neutral from an electronics viewpoint.